PDA

View Full Version : knocking noise on left turns

JHZR2
10-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi,

I have a knocking sound on left turns, more often and not necessarily just when turning when its rainy out.
Any suggestions? CV and diff are all fine.
Thanks,

JMH

BLAZEDe30
10-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Hi,

I have a knocking sound on left turns, more often and not necessarily just when turning when its rainy out.
Any suggestions? CV and diff are all fine.
Thanks,

JMH

u should do a "Park Check".......while ur under the front of the car, have a friend move the steering wheel side to side while u check for any extra play, loose components, and/or clicking in the rack & pinion and all other components affected by steering......if nothing is found wrong, try bouncing the front of the vehicle while checking for the same syptoms.....

JHZR2
10-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Found it is actually that the tailpipe is slightly bent, and not centered in the hole in the rear fascia. WHen going around a hard corner, it hits, or, when wet, the water acts like lube for the rubber, and t slips and hits easily.
Just have to figure out how to bend the tailpipe slightly, dont think I can do it bare handed though...

JMH

BLAZEDe30
10-11-2003, 03:41 AM
well thats kind of a good thing.....cuz u wont be spending alot of $$$ on replacing/repairing steering & suspension components.....

puta hammer to that exhaust...lol....or jus take to a muffler shop, i dont think they'll charge too much to do it...

JHZR2
10-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks,

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the part number for the rubber exhaust hangers that are used on the mullfers on the late 318s?
Thanks,

JMH

UK 318iS
10-11-2003, 05:16 PM
You're in luck as I had to replace all my exhaust hangers last month. :)

The rubber O ring for the rear silencer is:

18 21 1 712 838 (x1)

And if you need a new metal hanger bracket...it comes in 2 pieces:

18 21 1 176 713 (x1)
18 21 1 707 923 (x1)

The nuts for the bracket:

11 62 1 711 954 (x2)

There's two brackets and two rubbers holding the rear silencer up, so double the quantities if you're replacing the whole lot.

Also...

18 21 1 105 635

Is the smaller rubber for the centre section.

These are 318iS part numbers, but they're probably the same for a 318i :D

JHZR2
10-11-2003, 06:09 PM
OK, thanks very much!
Now all I need to do is rehang my muffler (I dont think Ill mess with the brackets, as ther eis rust in the areas around them, and I dont want to cause it to break or anything, I think a rust-stopping spray is about the best Ill do with that), but Ill replace the rubber parts, and then try to bend my tailpipe back straight.

ANy suggestions on how to rebend a tailpipe?
Thanks,

JMH

JHZR2
10-11-2003, 06:13 PM
One other thing... Do you have any suggestions on how to make the job go smoothly? I was thinking of backing up onto ramps, then using my jack to help suspend the muffler, if possible while changint the stuff one part at a time.
Is this how you went about it?
Thanks,

JMH

UK 318iS
10-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I reversed up onto a set of ramps to do mine in the driveway.
Once I got it off the rubbers and hanging loose, I shoved a stack of bricks under the rear silencer to suspend it.

I had a friend on hand to hold up my new exhaust while re-fitting, but if your jack can go up very high then that'll do the same thing.

I found the rubber that's closest to the wheel to be more awkward, so if you do the other one first, you could drop the car off the ramps, and remove the wheel to get more room to work with.

One thing I would recommend, is that you soak all the rubbers/nuts etc with WD40 or similar the night before you plan on doing the work.

As for bending the tailpipe...You could remove the exhaust completely from the car and try bending it back into shape with a vice, or maybe even with a hammer if you can put something solid under the pipe (like a block of wood or brick).

Hope that helps :)

///m42 sport
10-13-2003, 07:15 PM
do ya'll know of a cheap place to get the rubber hangers and the metal brackets?

UK 318iS
10-14-2003, 02:55 PM
I got mine from a BMW dealer. I only needed one new bracket (both pieces) and one rubber. I also got the centre section rubber and new nuts. The total was around $20-25.

Chapel
10-14-2003, 05:59 PM
eurowebparts.com sells the kit for under $50