PDA

View Full Version : Please help me start my car

PBalla
07-27-2004, 03:28 AM
Well..after this

I turn the car on, only SOME of the lights turn on to check...

PARK BRAKE
BRAKE LINING
BRAKE
ANTI LOCK
BATTERY
OIL

it used to be that they would all turn on, and all turn off when i started the car...now, the Brake, anti-lock and battery stay off, UNTIL I turn the car on, then (and sometimes this happens with the PARK BRAKE)...they stay lit, and when my RPMs rise, they dim, but when I go to neutral and fall below 1000 RPM (eta) they get lit (not to full), and my brake lining is always on just cuz sensor is loose or something. I talked to a friend he said it was normal due to the use of the alternator, and I had thought about that myself, but then why didn't it happen before, cuz its not normal.

But the car runs fine, just having those lights on, sometimes gets me worried.

ANyone experience this?..should I not worry?

In short, warning lights on when they should be off.

my car has just died on me...i start the car and i went for a bit and then i noticed lights were flickering, headlights dimming, and i could barely turn the wheel...now i try to start it..lights turn on but when i try to ignite everything goes dead

Now, I just got my battery replaced brand new 2 months ago AND my alternator..so what happened?

any advice is appreciated..btw, the car used to leak a lot of oil, my mechanica checked it out, and fixed it..but now it leaks a tiny amount, real small.

Thanks

TriFlow
07-27-2004, 03:43 AM
Check you altanator some times they break right away like that..

bimmerjim®
07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Check you altanator some times they break right away like that..

good call, thats what i would recomend too. you should be able to start it with a jump start, but as soon as you remove the support baterie it would die. if thats happening, its the alternator, or something to do with the alternator.

swartz
07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
hmm check if u still have a timing belt...hmmm i dumb

PBalla
07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
gonna try and jump start it tonight

PBalla
07-28-2004, 02:25 AM
Alright, starting the car worked...i ran around for a short while, turned it off and then tried to turn it on again, no start! same deal as before, everything goes off..

is it the starter? or still possibly alternator?

swartz
07-28-2004, 02:27 AM
ive had same prob with a shot battery also. sometimes the alternator is good but the battery wont hold a charge

bimmerjim®
07-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Alright, starting the car worked...i ran around for a short while, turned it off and then tried to turn it on again, no start! same deal as before, everything goes off..

is it the starter? or still possibly alternator?

put a Voltage meter on the battery while the battery is not conected to the car, it should read about 12.4 volts if its good, you can take your car to most any auto parts place and they can test the alternator for you. honestly, its very rare that i hear about an alternator dieing. i was guessing it was bad wireing. but now it sounds like a bad batterie casue you could drive it around.

MadmaX
07-28-2004, 10:21 AM
And I don't know about BMWs, but alot of cars will still start with a battery showing voltage as low as the high 10 range.

PBalla
07-28-2004, 03:00 PM
okay, but thats real wierd..i had stock battery up till 2 months ago...this POS one dies already or has lost it..ugh

why is everyone ruling that the starter is fine?

bimmerjim®
07-28-2004, 05:29 PM
because its not a starter problem? ;) if it was the starter, there would be different symptoms.

PBalla
07-28-2004, 06:03 PM
ok, called mechanic, he said it can't be start or alternator...he said to clean my ends on the battery and try to start..then try volt meter

bmwsmurf
08-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Keep the voltmeter on and watch what happens to the voltage when you crank. If it drops to like 4 or 5V there's a god chance theh battery is already shot.

There coould be a bad ground cable somewhere too.. .. I Ihad a problem with the onoe that is screwed onto the bottom of the engine.. rust goot in between.

Good luck

Chris
08-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Any update?

PBalla
08-10-2004, 03:49 AM
got back from vacationa nd i got the car started right b4 that

took it to walmart for FREE batery check..she checked it......

finally said, YEP bad battery go find a ne wone, put in the car info on their computer got the RIGHt battery

and so far it works

thanks for help

Josh Q
08-10-2004, 05:58 AM
The first thing I tell everyone who is having electric trouble is the check ALL MAJOR ground wires. These would be the ground from the battery, there's a ground wire that attatches to the block that causes all types of problems if it's freyed, loose, or coroded (sp?). I had an e21 and it kept blowing the headlights but not blowing the fuses. All of the lights on the car would go (literally) 10 times brighter than normal and the headlights would blow and bypass the fuses. Turned out to be a mickey mouse fix on a previous ground wire with wire that was not the right size. Just my little bit of advice and it's easy to check really quick.

bmwsmurf
08-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Which ones would be considered the major ground wires, other than the one to the battery and the one underneath the engine?
Sorry, <- electrically challenged

PBalla
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
oh wait, did i say prob fixed..? cuz its NOT

so back from vacation, driving...ANTI LOCK just turns bright orange out of nowhere...this was just after my temp guage started going back and forth between halfway and red.

so i am real confused...drive a bit..RPMs dtop to 0, car dies...i go to talk to nearby gas station, come back, start car...good to go, hopefully it'll get me back home...

i dunno y but i thought if i keep my revs high the car will make it..so at lights and stops i just rev'd..about to get off my exit, ANTI LOCK does same thing (but not temp guage)...stop at the light, car dies...this time i needed a jump, got one, went home, car is in garage...

whats the deal? new battery, new alternator!

it should love me

thanks

straight6
08-13-2004, 05:11 AM
The ABS light was on in my car and it needed a new relay to fix it.

ec437
08-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I had the exact same problem; after spending several hundered on the mechanic, I found out that my trunk light had shorted and was causing the battery to discharge. Well, it happened enough to ruin my battery, so I had to get a new one and now the problem is no more. I also fixed the trunk light.

so*cal
10-21-2007, 10:54 PM
okay, but thats real wierd..i had stock battery up till 2 months ago...this POS one dies already or has lost it..ugh

why is everyone ruling that the starter is fine?

because if it was your starter the car would not start. and its not the alternator... its the brushes on the alternator... its two phillips head screw drivers that hold them on. take them off and see if the two magnets on it are decently big... they should be at big as half a penny about...

M3UT
10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Old Thread