PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak :(

decay
07-31-2004, 10:34 PM
so i have a leak @ the fuel pump, discovered it upon arriving @ work today.

my bentley's at home, can someone help me out with the diameter/length of the hoses leading to and from the pump so i can pick up a fix on the way home tonight?

TIA...

///m42 sport
08-02-2004, 11:34 PM
I wish I could help you since I had the same problem. I ended up taking it to the mechanic and charged $75 for two hoses. :o Never again.

decay
08-03-2004, 02:39 AM
well my bentley corrected me- it's the filter it's leaking around, my car has an in-tank pump. (i could have sworn i saw wires on it, but my pet snake died the same morning i discovered this, so i wasn't in the best mental state).

i tightened all the clamps around the filter, but it's still leaking, and i don't feel like getting gas all over me twice, so wednesday's paycheck takes a hit. *shrug* whatever.

65Matt
08-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Mine has the same leak. Leaves a little stain in front of the rear tire. If you go to the local parts store to get your fuel line, make sure you get the fuel injection rated hose. Most of the stuff is for carbs which have a PSI of about 5 to 7. Fuel injection pressures run up into 40 PSI.

I guess I'm going to take the hose off and go up to the parts store to match it up with the right size.

decay
08-04-2004, 09:50 PM
someone on a mailing list told me 8mm ID.

autozone didn't have that, so i bought a foot of the sizes directly above and below (& yes, for fuel injection). the size above worked great- slid on/off easy. the smaller size probably would have worked but it was a real PITA to get it over all the "nipples" in that tight space, so i just made sure i couldn't yank the bigger hose i used off after clamping it down.

my leak was getting bad enough that it'd puddle if i was at a light for more than 2mins... then "chirp-slip-chirp-slip" on takeoff... loadsa fun :roll:

65Matt
08-06-2004, 05:57 PM
I just replaced my lines and filter, too. I bougth 5/16" FI hose, fits like a glove. I didn't replace the return line going into the bottom of the tank. I'll wait till I'm almost empty, then jack up the left side of the car, and hope that the fuel level is low enough that it doesn't pour out on me.

It's so nice to have an older car that you can work on. Most new cars have special fittings that make it hard to unhook the fuel line.

I'm going to replace the lines near the engine, too.

Smelling gassy...

bmwsmurf
08-17-2004, 03:20 AM
How did you find where it was leakinig for? Spots on the floor ?

You can get the hoses from BMW they are not that expensive wiith club discount. :)

decay
08-17-2004, 04:10 PM
How did you find where it was leakinig for? Spots on the floor ?

err, the ground, yeah. right in front of the driver's side rear tire.