PDA

View Full Version : Strangest damn thing happened today...

TimmyBigHands
08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, here goes. This will be long, and I'm sorry. I want you all to have every piece of info though.

I was getting ready to leave for work, and I went to my car and unlocked the door. I Sat in the drivers seat, and put the key into the ignition. When I turned it to the "ON" position, the starter motor began spinning. I never even got to the "START" position. No when I say the starter motor was spinning, it was just the starter motor, it never actually enguaged and turned the motor over. It just started spinning freely.

So, I turned the key off to make it stop spinning so that it would not burn up the motor... but when I turned it off, IT DIDNT STOP! The key was all the way out, in my hand and the starter was still turning!

I freaked, ran into the house and opened the garage... grabbed my socket set and disconnected the battery. I let it sit for 10 minutes and reconnected it to see what would happen. Wouldnt you know it, right away it started turning again!

The next step was to disconnect the battery again AND the postive wires on the starter itself. When I did that, I reconnected the battery and got my Multi-meter. All of my connections turned out fine... everything was normal. I was damned stumped - but afraid to hook it up again. Hands shaking and nervous as hell, I touched the positive wire back to the starter........................ aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddddddddd.................

nothing happened. WTF?! It was supposed to start spinning again like it was a minute ago. Well, I jumped into the car and put the key back in and turned it over and the car started up just fine! I have no idea what's going on? Please help me out here... it's not happening now, but what if it does it again one day and DOESNT fix itself? Thanks guys.

TimmyBigHands
Shane

TriFlow
08-11-2004, 10:01 PM
That same thing happens to me but it's my cd/player that stays on.. :?

Chris
08-11-2004, 10:16 PM
That same thing happens to me but it's my cd/player that stays on.. :?

Spooky. :fruit6

diegom6
08-11-2004, 10:29 PM
happened to me somrthign similar, just a lot worst than you man, with my Jeep once, I crossed the river, when i took off the ignition key, the engine got off, but the damm starter motor was pining but enagaged!!!! so the engine mass was rotating but with out spark or fuel.

That was a very scary moment, because it started to overtemp and had to disconnect the battery, all that wa sin the middle of the Jungle, for lucky in the bad luck my Jeep is manul trans, so I diisconected all the starter because some wire got hot and started getting gumm, (almost light up) and you know the rest of the story....

straight6
08-12-2004, 03:35 AM
That's fucked up man! What the fuck could have caused that?

TimmyBigHands
08-12-2004, 02:24 PM
That's f*****d up man! What the f*** could have caused that?

I was hoping you all could tell me? I *THINK* maybe the ignition switch is going bad or something, tricking the starter into thinking that the key is in and turning over or something? Anyone have a suggestion?

TriFlow
08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
such foul language. :shock: