PDA

View Full Version : Need steps for removing Head..??

TriFlow
08-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Where do I start I saw in a recent post it can be done without removing the intake manifold.??

TriFlow
08-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Forgot the please & thanks :oops:

bimmerjim®
08-12-2004, 12:29 PM
me and dusty prity much wrote out the steps on the other thread, but basicaly
drain the radiator,
remove it and the collant hoses, heater core lines etc,
remove the distributor and timing belt covers,
relive the timing belt tension, pull it off the cam gear,
disconect the rear heater core line from off the back of the head. disconect the throttle and cruze controll cables,
vacume lines, and anything attatched to the intake manifold by means of bracket or otherwise,
remove the intake boot,
remove the downpipe.
also remove the fuel lines
remove the vavle cover to acess the head bolts.

i think thats it, remove the head bolts, and lift. its gonna be heavy.

TriFlow
08-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks man.. I think I'm going to get that parts car running after all. :D

89325iturbo
08-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Yup Jims got a dead description. Like he said its gonna be heavy like 70lbs. I've done it a couple times with my turbo exhaust manifold, and turbo connected to it to now thats heavy probably another 30lbs. Anyway Your probably gonna need a extra guy to give you a hand. I've found the best way to take it off is for someone to stand on the strut towers over the top of the engine. That way they can wiggle it a little then lift it straight up, and help with handing it off to someone. It just feels a lot heavier when your trying to lean over the cars fenders, and pick it up from the sides.

Josh Q
08-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Just make SURE you loosen the coolant line going to the back of the head near the firewall. If you forget that then you'll have about 10 min of swearing trying figure out why the hell you can't get it off.