PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam... i read the other one

mormonmopedmafia
01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Alright i just finished reading the massive seafoam thread and i still have a few questions... the picture of exactly what hose to disconnect doesnt work anymore... im pretty sure i found it but i dont wanna go pourin shit in random tubes... also i saw mixed views on how exactly to get it directly into the engine... some people say put it n slow and then kill the engine and let it soak .... others say stick the tube in a bottle let it suck it all up and romp on it.... what do i do?!?!?!

skuyler
01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
what i did was i disconnected the hose from the top of the intake (see pic)

I poured the seafoam into a cut-in-half 20oz soda bottle, and put the hose into the liquid. The car started up, sucked the liquid quickly, then stalled out because of the vacuum pressure. I had the car sit for about 5 minutes (I couldn't wait) and took it for a spin. It ran badly at first but then cleared up and smoked like CRAZY :razz:

I also put the other half of the seafoam into my gas tank. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference from this treatment, but at least it got me comfortable with the car.

The hose is "highlighted" in red

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/EssKayYouEyeEllEAre/mani.jpg

mormonmopedmafia
01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
so you let the car idletill warm, unattach hose, dip it in seafoam till its all sucked up, turn off car, wait 5 mins and drive/smokescreen? is that right ?

bimmer2288
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
QFT. I think I posted the picture of what to disconnect originally. He's right about the hose to remove. The hose leads from the intake manifold to the FPR or Fuel Pressure Regulator. You want to leave the hose connected to the intake, but remove the end connecting to the FPR.

You could also disconnect the brake vacuum hose that goes to the throttle body. This would clean the coating of fuel and carbon from the insides of the throttle and intake manifold.

bastianshaw
01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
DUDE! deff. put into the intake hose i just did this and i got like 10 horses on the but dyno my car just pulled WAY HARDER! + its badass to drive around w/ all that smoke pouring out!
i liked it so much i went and got another can!
do it like this:
1.buy 2 cans seafoam.
2.call a friend.
3.drive the shit out of ur car get it really warmed up.. i drove on the freeway at like 90-100 w/ alot of full throttle.
4.dissconect vacumm line at the fuel pressure regulator, mine was kinda a bitch so i just kept pulling and it snapped...its cool though u can reconnect it. pour a can of SF in a glass and rev the motor put the tube in the glass a little at a time there will be alot of smoke.

keep givin the car gas so it doesent die...OR u could get in as much as possible and let it bog and die.

wait for it to do its thing and start it up and drive it out after letting it sit overnight.

be advised the car will be hard to start.

HAVE FUN!

mormonmopedmafia
01-16-2007, 11:05 PM
so you can let it suck it all up and die and it wont hurt the car at all?

dom
01-16-2007, 11:26 PM
- get the car warm
- disconnect the fpr tube, and let the car suck the seafoam up slowly. if you do it too fast the car will splutter and die.
- after it's done sucking it all up, let the car sit for 10 minutes.
- drive.

from experience, 1 can is definitely enough.

Kon19
01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
DUDE! deff. put into the intake hose i just did this and i got like 10 horses on the but dyno my car just pulled WAY HARDER! + its badass to drive around w/ all that smoke pouring out!
i liked it so much i went and got another can!
do it like this:
1.buy 2 cans seafoam.
2.call a friend.
3.drive the shit out of ur car get it really warmed up.. i drove on the freeway at like 90-100 w/ alot of full throttle.
4.dissconect vacumm line at the fuel pressure regulator, mine was kinda a bitch so i just kept pulling and it snapped...its cool though u can reconnect it. pour a can of SF in a glass and rev the motor put the tube in the glass a little at a time there will be alot of smoke.

keep givin the car gas so it doesent die...OR u could get in as much as possible and let it bog and die.

wait for it to do its thing and start it up and drive it out after letting it sit overnight.

be advised the car will be hard to start.

HAVE FUN!

careful with what u say, someone might actually believe u and do that

jpod999
01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Anyone ever done this on an M42 motor?

jog5000
01-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Is there anything else that acts like Seafoam/does the same job? I live in South Africa, and we dont have it here, and by what I've heard it does a brilliant job...

TS325IS
01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
In a pinch you can use some kind of valve cleaner or injector cleaner , but out of all of these the seafoam did best for me, injector cleaner dose ok too but i think its not as strong.

nefarious7907
01-17-2007, 07:22 AM
You could probably get almost the same if not better result by using a concentrated fuel injector cleaner through that hose.

TS325IS
01-17-2007, 07:28 AM
I've done this for years on evry other oil change , and out of all that i have tried , the sea foam gives the most smoke so my thinking is that it is cleaning more. but , yeah the stronger the better.

protomor
01-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Is there anything else that acts like Seafoam/does the same job? I live in South Africa, and we dont have it here, and by what I've heard it does a brilliant job...

Ventil sauber is the german equivalent. Ive used it in place of the sea foam.

FYI, what does the most for the car is when it sits. The heated liquid is what eats away at the carbon deposits so let it sit as long as possible. I let mine sit for 15 minutes and my car smoked for about as long.

Slowman
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that you should change your oil soon after doing a seafoam.

protomor
01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Unless you put it in your crank case (which I have) why would you?

bimmer2288
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM
You only have to do this if yu add seafoam to the crankcase which most people on here are afraid to do. I have little desire to put it in my oil as well. When you put it in through the intake it does not come in contact with your oil.

jog5000
01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
So I could basically use fuel injector cleaner, in exactly the same way, pipe in the bottle etc etc? It wont do any damage to my motor?

mormonmopedmafia
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
- get the car warm
- disconnect the fpr tube, and let the car suck the seafoam up slowly. if you do it too fast the car will splutter and die.
- after it's done sucking it all up, let the car sit for 10 minutes.
- drive.

from experience, 1 can is definitely enough.

sweet ... can i do this in very cold weaher as long as the engine is warm

dom
01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
So I could basically use fuel injector cleaner, in exactly the same way, pipe in the bottle etc etc? It wont do any damage to my motor?

it shouldn't do any harm to the motor.

backtrail69
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Some of the seafoam will bypass your valve seals/guide and rings. You don't want detergent in your oil. Just like when you flood your engine extensively it is wise to change your oil to prevent diluting your oil with gas.

TS325IS
01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Its best to do it right before you change the oil , and as long as the engine is at operating ( middle mark) temp, suck it in and turn it off for 15 or 30 minutes and then drive the spy hunter smoak screen out of it.hehe.

bimmer2288
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Its best to do it right before you change the oil , and as long as the engine is at operating ( middle mark) temp, suck it in and turn it off for 15 or 30 minutes and then drive the spy hunter smoak screen out of it.hehe.

Unless you are adding it to the crank case you don't have to change your oil. Read here for more information http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Shifty
01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
hmm... i smell a video tutorial coming on...
protomor lets do it!!

protomor
01-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Im lazy... plus whose car are we going to do it on? youre doing a valve job and its probably not good for new seals. My car's engine is currently being taken apart.

Dominic49
01-19-2007, 12:28 AM
i have had a can of seafoam in my garage for awhile... I'll do all the videos I prommised to do 2morrow and just add this to the list....

(1. UUC race shifter video)
(2. Seafoam demo)

t3h jam
01-19-2007, 04:36 AM
i did this on my beat up VR6 (166k) tons of blowby, idle lumpy as fuck...

i disconnected the intake, and just slowly poured half the can down the tube. it sputtered, then died. i was worried, omfg i just killed my vr. anywho. let it sit for a while, (5 min or so) cranked it a few times, fired right up, TONS of smoke. my landlord came out and asked me wtf was going on lol. being a nice guy i drove it lumpy as fuck and sputtering like crazy, around the block. idle leveled out liek woooah, felt a but quicker (might have been my imagination) oil consumption slowed a bit as well.

would use again!

Shifty
01-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Im lazy... plus whose car are we going to do it on? youre doing a valve job and its probably not good for new seals. My car's engine is currently being taken apart.

new seals, my ass, i could care less. I have to clear out the crap in the cylinders. plus, the headers are probably full of oil and soot.

I need to borrow your camcorder.

@everyone else:
Its going to be funny as shit since im going to be doing this at the Sterling, VA BMW dealership!! last time i got nasty looks from the sales guys because all their new e90's were hidden by the seafoam cloud of death!!
plus driving it out of the dealership netted me some looks from the customers. they have no idea the the e30 pwns all the other new BMWs!

protomor
01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
your engine is relatively clean. You acetoned it before putting everything back together. Your deposits will just be burnt on oil... ok well I guess thatll work for it too.

El Mero Mero
01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
What are the advantages of adding the stuff to the crankcase?

protomor
01-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Gets all the "coke"* out of your engine.

*Coke is burnt oil that sticks to metal. Sometimes it isnt even oil, its the minerals that the oil refinment process can't get out. Which means synthetic oil cakes up less than regular oil.

El Mero Mero
01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Kinda off-topic but I've read that switching to synthetic in a high mileage engine which has used conventional oil all its life will cause the synthetic to react or something and build up more sludge. Can anyone verify this? And if its true, then would running SeaFoam in there before changing the oil out for synthetic control the problem?

skuyler
01-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Old wives tale I've heard is that synthetic oil is thinner and cleaner, so if your car has leaks that are being plugged by sludge/thicker oil, synthetic will get in the leaks, clear em up, and leak more. But I've never seen any evidence

nefarious7907
01-20-2007, 06:59 AM
I switched to synthetic and I got few leaks, I am back to BMW oil and filters and now I have no leaks. Funny how that works.

vis213
01-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that you should change your oil soon after doing a seafoam.

yes, seafoam likes to eat rod bearings so any of it that slips into the crankcase will start to tear em up

nefarious7907
01-20-2007, 07:38 PM

yes, seafoam likes to eat rod bearings so any of it that slips into the crankcase will start to tear em up :pathead8:

mormonmopedmafia
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM
thats exactly what happened to my last car... put a lil bit in there and 3 3weeks later did an extreme burnout and ... kapoot.... but hey thanks for all the info ! =D>

colin86325
01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
thats exactly what happened to my last car... put a lil bit in there and 3 3weeks later did an extreme burnout and ... kapoot.... but hey thanks for all the info ! =D>

Em, you aren't supposed to run something that will dilute your oil, and then load up your engine. Bearings will be eaten for lunch.

mormonmopedmafia
01-22-2007, 10:54 PM
yeah i didnt know it would do that... says noobie next ot my name for a reason lol... but hey lesson learned and i love my e30 so it was for the best anyways... all the can said was put it in there and shazaam