PDA

View Full Version : erratic idle on start....

achilles
02-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey all. I 've got an 89 325i auto. Just finished the replacement of the intake manifold gasket and tb gasket. Every thing cleaned well and no trouble. Runs great but the only issue I have is that on startup when cold (not when warm) it will lope between 700 and 1200 rpm. If I hold it at 1500 for 30 secs and let it down it is fine. I thought it might be the tps out of adjustment but it has continuity through the reccommended range. I cleaned the idle air sensor with electrical contact cleaner and re-installed it but no dice. Thoughts, it is driving my wife crazy.....chris :-k

bearing01
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
carbon on the intake valves? What's the temp there now in Ottawa? -20*C?

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed?

When I cleaned my idle ctrl valve that made my idle go out of wack hot or cold. I had to turn the adjuster screw on the side to get it to stabilize. I don't know if your ICV has such an adjustment.

achilles
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I didn't know there was an adjuster on the side! New plugs, needs a valve adj. but after 30secs the car runs great. I'll check for the adjuster screw, I beleive it is the oem unit. chris [-o< and yeah, it is f&*kin cold this week.

onebad7up
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Mine does the same thing but my idle is more like 2000rpm. I tried the screw on the idle control and it was already turned down all the way. If yours turns out to be the same it will be interesting to see what the problem is. This problem is making me very ](*,) !