PDA

View Full Version : Gee Whiz

325eTurbo
02-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok someone please explain to me ETA to me. Is it the economy crap version? What other engines are there... ETSA etc etc???

klrskies
02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
After a few oil embargos in the 70's and 80's their was a lot of emphisis on fuel efficency, probably especially in europe. BMW designed the "eta" engine to be very efficent. It makes more torque, and does and does it at 1000 rpm's lower than the sporty "i" engine. The block itself is the same as the"i" engine's ,as they are part of the M20 engine family.

Don't be too hard on the"eta" it's longer stroke (81 -vs- 75) makes it a larger 2.7 liter engine. The "i" head, with it's larger valves, ports and cams, and its manifolds can be used on the "eta" bottom end. Some aftermarket support is available for the eta, but the "i" engine is more popular to tune by far.

I think "eta" may be greek or latin for the letter "e" which signifies "efficency" or something like that.

rthor234
02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
After a few oil embargos in the 70's and 80's their was a lot of emphisis on fuel efficency, probably especially in europe. BMW designed the "eta" engine to be very efficent. It makes more torque, and does and does it at 1000 rpm's lower than the sporty "i" engine. The block itself is the same as the"i" engine's ,as they are part of the M20 engine family.

Don't be too hard on the"eta" it's longer stroke (81 -vs- 75) makes it a larger 2.7 liter engine. The "i" head, with it's larger valves, ports and cams, and its manifolds can be used on the "eta" bottom end. Some aftermarket support is available for the eta, but the "i" engine is more popular to tune by far.

I think "eta" may be greek or latin for the letter "e" which signifies "efficency" or something like that.

Good answer!

There is nothing wrong with the M20B27. It's still a more powerful engine than a lot of other engines in the late 80's. And it's more efficient. Except mine, which only gets 23 mpg ](*,) .

protomor
02-13-2007, 10:56 AM
My eta got 35mpg on city driving. Altho, the low red line was annoying.

Etas have the smaller ported heads and different cams/valve springs I believe. Eta does stand for "efficiency" dont mistake it for "economy". Its meant to still have quite a bit of performance but be better for daily driving.

Unfortunately, many costomers did not get the eta meaning and so after 86 or 87 they dropped the "e" and left the cars with just "325" as their designation. Its also a slightly different tune but its still an eta.

As far as turbo applications go, eta bottom end (2.7 liters!) and an i top end (bigger ports/better cams) can lead to better power gains. But if you arent going to turbo, etas probably arent the best thing unless you plan to shove the I head on it.

My 2 cents tho.

mormonmopedmafia
02-13-2007, 02:53 PM
see ive been readin all over on these forums and it sounds like i could turbo my eta and keep boost moderate (5 psi ) and have i nice little street machine without swapping the head ... i think it would be a good idea to get it ported or do something to make it breath a little better but boost is still 4-5 months out for me

gry_demon
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Etas are awesome for daily drivers...Gas milage alone is great, but the torque is awesome too :razz:

atmh
02-13-2007, 03:43 PM
My eta is running ~7psi (.5bar) of boost and the quarter mile times I've placed were in the 14.8 range, faster than an e30 M3, not as fast as an e36 M3, though I have to wonder what it would do with a skilled driver.

Also I have a T4 turbo that doesn't hit full boost until 2,500rpm at the absolute earliest, that's doing a 5th gear pull from like 30mph giving everything plenty of time to spin up. Usually I don't hit full boost until after 3,000rpms, which is fine, IMHO since I can drive leasurely, or I can drive agressively and I can get 30+mpg if I want (not agressively, of course).

The turbo eta is a nice setup, LOTS of torque. I don't even notice the low redline because of all the torque/power and the tall rear end gearing (2.79 in my car).

When I told some friends my car had a 2.79 final drive, they were like "holy crap, that's fucking wide, imagine what your car would be like with a closer ratio and a reasonable redline!"

Yeah, I know, those things would make it that much more fun, and cost only a little bit more $$$... All you really need is the rear end and valve springs and you can raise the redline to what an i has. But it's good the way it is and I'm content for now, and I've had it turbo'd for about 6 months. Rest assured that with ~7psi on a mostly stock eta, you'll kick most car's asses off the line, ANY other stock e30, and probably any e36 except the M3.

There's a LOT of potential with a turbocharged eta... and hell, they're not bad stock either.

Figured I'd throw it out there... I estimate, through seat of the pants, quarter mile calculations and boost/displacement/stock horsepower calculations that my car is about 210hp. That's a really, really rough guess... I've been told it feels more like 250hp, but don't forget e30's are fairly light.

325eTurbo
02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Awesome, i thought it to be something close to that, but you guys have been very helpful. Yeah my 325 is super annoying with the low RPM's but... any guy going from an S2000 to an eta would say that.
Im definetely going Turbo, on mine.
thanks guys

rthor234
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
My eta gets worse gas mileage than my Chevy 350 truck.. I need to tear it apart and fix something for sure.

Still an awesome car, I love the torque.

325eTurbo
02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
My eta gets worse gas mileage than my Chevy 350 truck.. I need to tear it apart and fix something for sure.

Man it gets worse than my 1500 Ram!
Also does yours hestitate down in the low RPM's?
I changed my Plugs cap, button, alternator, fuel filter! Checked for vaccuum leaks. I just dont know what it could be!

mormonmopedmafia
02-13-2007, 09:39 PM
yeah im really reconsidreing boosting my car again becuase it seems like a fairly simple process and hey ... all the cool kids are doing it right? ... right now im just tryin to look around for low priced items for a good dependable turbo set up

rthor234
02-14-2007, 12:07 AM

I changed my Plugs cap, button, alternator, fuel filter! Checked for vaccuum leaks. I just dont know what it could be!

I'm getting about 160-180 miles to the tank..

If I dont drive it for a week or so it will hesitate really bad in the low RPM's for a day or two. Until I get to around 2300 RPM's the car acts like it doesnt want to go anywhere.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page. I'm going to service the injectors whenever I can. I really have pretty much narrowed it down to that being the problem.

If that doesnt fix it I'm giving the car to my dad and the 'is' will be the new daily.

mormonmopedmafia
02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
right now i can get pretty close to 250 a tank... most ive got is 238 but i bet i coulda done 250

325eTurbo
02-14-2007, 01:36 AM

If I dont drive it for a week or so it will hesitate really bad in the low RPM's for a day or two. Until I get to around 2300 RPM's the car acts like it doesnt want to go anywhere.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page. I'm going to service the injectors whenever I can. I really have pretty much narrowed it down to that being the problem.

If that doesnt fix it I'm giving the car to my dad and the 'is' will be the new daily.

Ive read that you can go up to a 19lb injector and its better for the car anyway! I might try that on mine. Im getting a Megasquirt system installed on mine by a shop in Durham NC, here in the next 3 months or so. Im sure they'll be able to tell me exactly whats wrong with it then :?:

325eTurbo
02-14-2007, 01:38 AM
yeah im really reconsidreing boosting my car again becuase it seems like a fairly simple process and hey ... all the cool kids are doing it right? ... right now im just tryin to look around for low priced items for a good dependable turbo set up

Im basically doing the same thing. Ive decided to get the EMS installed first though. Im going Megasquirt. I figured that is the toughest thing to do, because im clueless with wiring and tuning. I can handle the mechanical side of things. Sooo im piecing together a kit myself! Im stuck on the manifold right now. Ive been told to stay away from the ebay manifolds! Im thinking an adaptor from 666fabrications. who knows!

nefarious7907
02-14-2007, 05:37 AM

If that doesnt fix it I'm giving the car to my dad and the 'is' will be the new daily. It could be anything from the main fuel pump being dead and only having the high pressure pump to a bad Fuel Pressure Reg to a clogged cat or the injectors themselves and dont forget the o2 sensor. I sent my injectors to cruizin performance to have them cleaned, after he got done with them he said the flowed between 13-18% better than when I sent them to him. I have replaced everything but the headgasket on my car and it runs like a champ. I dont know what my mileage is now, but before I did any maintence I could get around 35mpg easy.

325eTurbo
02-14-2007, 05:45 AM

If that doesnt fix it I'm giving the car to my dad and the 'is' will be the new daily. It could be anything from the main fuel pump being dead and only having the high pressure pump to a bad Fuel Pressure Reg to a clogged cat or the injectors themselves and dont forget the o2 sensor. I sent my injectors to cruizin performance to have them cleaned, after he got done with them he said the flowed between 13-18% better than when I sent them to him. I have replaced everything but the headgasket on my car and it runs like a champ. I dont know what my mileage is now, but before I did any maintence I could get around 35mpg easy.

would it be throwing codes if it were an o2 sensor or cat? I was going to upgrade the fuel pump anyway.... hmmm

nefarious7907
02-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Eta's dont have trouble codes :-k

To test the o2 try disconnecting it at the firewall while the engine is idling to see if the rpms change.

Eta's have a high pressure pump that is on the I guess you would call it a frame rail and a main pump in the tank. If the main pump fuel filter is clogged or the main pump isnt pumping then your fuel is not getting delivered efficiently.

Easy way to test the cat is to simply sawall it out and take it to a hardware store and find some pipe that is ~4-6in longer than the cat and that will snuggly slip over the O.D. of the ends of the cat and get some HD clamps and clamp the pipe where the cat was.

325eTurbo
02-14-2007, 06:02 AM
thats crazy i didnt know it didnt have codes. i just assumed it did since it had that little computer board above the rearview mirror and the inspection light on the gauge cluster.

nefarious7907
02-14-2007, 07:27 AM
The inspection thing is mostly based on miles. As is the oil thing. I wouldnt rely on them to keep track of vehicle maintence.

rthor234
02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
It could be anything from the main fuel pump being dead and only having the high pressure pump to a bad Fuel Pressure Reg to a clogged cat or the injectors themselves and dont forget the o2 sensor. I sent my injectors to cruizin performance to have them cleaned, after he got done with them he said the flowed between 13-18% better than when I sent them to him. I have replaced everything but the headgasket on my car and it runs like a champ. I dont know what my mileage is now, but before I did any maintence I could get around 35mpg easy.

I've replaced the o2 sensor and the cat is good. Hm main fuel pump or fpr. I thought about the fpr. What is the best way to check/test the fuel pump and fpr?

And I'm going to service the injectors, but my driveability is fine, so the injectors shouldnt be much of an issue.

Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.