PDA

View Full Version : Gotta diagnose this car (no spark)

RIPDOT
02-26-2007, 08:07 AM
My buddy bought a 85 325E with an "I" engine in it from another guy who I originally sold it to so I know the history of the car. Im riding over to get it with him this morning but there is no spark. Tried the following last night but it was dark. There is definitely fuel

Main Relay
Checked all Fuses

Would the main fusable link in the trunk stop fuel if it is bad? also, would the crank position sensor cause no spark?. Just trying to figure out what would cause spark not to work and allow fuel.

protomor
02-26-2007, 10:48 AM
If theres no spark theres nothing stopping you from flooding the engine. Yay! Anyway, are you sure its spark? The usual quick way to check is to pull off a plug wire and hold it near the valve cover and have someone crank it. Just make sure not to be touching metal yourself incase it wants to arc on you. if you see sparks, you have spark.

If not, it could be a number of things. If it cranks, we can assume the battery/alternator is ok. But it could be broken cap/rotor, REALLY bad spark plug wires, dead coil. My vote is coil, its a $15-20 part from a local auto parts store. They tend to go back without warning. I cant think of anything else to check atm.

RIPDOT
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I have an extra coil here, will try it today, thanks.

e30sport
02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
did you get the car running ,the truck was at the house. so whats up man.let a brother now!

RIPDOT
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
yeah, it runs good. had a bad ground

protomor
02-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Isnt it always something simple like that? Its one of the first things you should do when you get an E30. replace all the grounds possible.