PDA

View Full Version : If you have a hunting idle, read this thread

wagonizzle
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
So after 6 months of dealing with a crappy idle that searched between 500 and 1100 RPM, which recently evolved to stalling at times, I adjusted the TPS to spec and presto - rock solid idle at 700 RPM. I also had a problem with the revs hanging whenever I clutched to shift with A/C on. Also completely gone. I HIGHLY recommend that anyone with this problem start here. It costs nothing but an hour of easy labor and have a swivel head for your 1/4 ratchet to pull the throttle body off but its easy. Seriously, do this first. I am so happy. Aaaahhhh[/b]

Tyro2001
02-27-2007, 09:41 PM
how do u adjust it and what is it the spec.
thanks alot

wagonizzle
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I searched here and it is in the Bentley/Chilton books. The TPS is under the throttle body and has long holes for the screws that hold it in place, so it can be rotated. You need to have continuity on certain pins of the TPS for both closed and WOT. Check your favorite guide book for the proper steps.

nomade30
02-27-2007, 11:41 PM
i got mine down to 600 idle haha i believe 650 is where m20 engines are suppose to be. But when you lower your idle from 1000 to 650 you forget you actually have to push on the gas before you let the clutch out haha i used to start and let it out then push on gas but now it's the other way around which doesn't bug me because i got through drive thru's a lot

Tyro2001
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
can it be done with the throttle body out of the car ?

wagonizzle
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Not all the way out, as you need the throttle hooked up to set the TPS in the right position. I thought about leaving the throttle body on the intake, but there is really no way to get to the adjustment screws on the TPS. Just pull the throttle body; only 4 well designed nuts with integrated washers, and remove a couple hoses and unbolt the throttle cable bracket. I pulled the intake boot and ICV, but not the AFM. After months of searching 'poor idle' threads, I just the other day found the TPS adjustment technique. It helps to have a buddy to hold back the TPS so you can test it while they play with the throttle. Do a baseline first with the throttle body still mounted before you take anything apart. In my case, there was continuity for WOT, but not for idle. It took a few minutes of adjusting to get it to work for both, but you will get it. VERY small adjustments will make a difference, so keep going until you get it. If you just cannot make it work for both idle and WOT, your TPS is probaby bad. But mine is probably 18 years old and is still going!

Tyro2001
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
you see i already have my throttle body already out of my car and i took the TPS sensor off so i can clean the throttle body while my engine is being rebuilt. so i wanted to see if i can adjust it while i have it out since its just sitting there on the bench and there is a good chance that i messed up the adjustment when i took it off to clean it.

wagonizzle
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
:-k Yeah I guess so as long as the throttle is still attatched to the TB. I just didn't take any more out than I had to. In fact, if your car isn't even together, I would wait until it is and then see if you have a problem.

Tyro2001
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
yea i may go with that....thanks