PDA

View Full Version : In the middle of water pump/ t-belt change....NEED HELP

BmwRacer
03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I am changing my water pump and T-belt as I type and I rn into a little issue and I want to do this right so I thought i would ask you guys...On my new laso pump is says "DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF LUQUID SEALING COMPOUND"...does that include running a fine bead of permatex along the gasket? If I should run the permatex should i use non-hardening or hardening? Thanks for you help

backtrail69
03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I used some permatex number 2 non hardening with good results, on both my M20 and M10.

the pirate
03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
i just used some RTV on mine. put a few dabs on the gasket and spread it evenly around with my fingers just to make a light layer on the gasket.

TS325IS
03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I just did mine and i didnt use anything other than the gasket itself and no leaks or problems.

87-325iC
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
i did mine a while back, i didnt use any sealer,
now i wish i had used a little bead of something..

high temp silicone anything should be fine.

mrsleeve
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
i just used some RTV on mine. put a few dabs on the gasket and spread it evenly around with my fingers just to make a light layer on the gasket.

+1

bottlecape30
03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
yeah i use rtv that stuff is great, no leaks at all ever

amdpowred
03-06-2007, 04:30 PM
If the gasket and area are totally dry The heat will bond the gasket and harden it

mattd860
03-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I used some. Glad I did.

Restoman
03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Not all engineers when designing these machines know exactly how things are going to work out when heat flows through the engine. Also the person who wrote the manual might have been testing with a different gasket compound when it was written. Then they might have been shaving pennies off of production and they just got rid of sealant. There are alot of reason to use sealant or not too. Has anyone ever been screwed beyond recognition for putting sealant on there? I know I sleep better when I use it. Just make sure you follow the sealants directions for curing, that way it will work. But, you probably already buttoned the engine up and are reading this wondering if you made the right decision. Did you?????

BmwRacer
03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Auctually before I was able to start to install the water pump yesterday, I got a call from my uncle saying he was stuck in like 5 feet of snow on the side of the road...it ended up taking all night to get him out so I wasn't able to even finish the car. I will probably be able to get back to work on the car on thursday and I think I have decided to run a small amount of permatex on both sides of the gasket. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Shifty
03-07-2007, 11:59 AM
JB Weld FTW!!