PDA

View Full Version : Idle Question - Need Help

dinanm3atl
03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
The e30 I just picked up has a high idle sometimes. Most of the time when you start it up it will go to around 1200-1500 idle.

Sometimes it starts up and drops right down to 800 and it is golden. Anything to check here to get this problem resolved?

mrsleeve
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Look for a vac leak. but I would say you have a normal car. Both of mine bump up to 1500rpm when you fire it up cold till it warms up for a few mins then down to normal 600.

loonibab325i
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
just be happy that it drives, and that it doesn't surge from 1k to like 6k, even when trying to drive it hahaha.. that sounds normal man.. but i would check for vac leaks just incase. but it really sounds normal..

dinanm3atl
03-08-2007, 01:08 AM
I think I did not explain well enough. It runs high all the time. Drive 20 miles on highway get off highway and it is still at 1500.

Just went out and unplugged and beat on the ICV and now it is at 800 :)

I think I need a new one... soooo expensive

superj
03-08-2007, 07:38 AM
just take it off andd spray it out with some cleaner

Shifty
03-08-2007, 09:18 AM
just take it off andd spray it out with some cleaner

:D *hugs superj again* :D

I did that w/ a vacuum leak that i had, turns out it was at my intake manifold. specifically at the gasket on the last cylinder towards the firewall. somehow and no one can give me a logical explanation, but part of the gasket got blown off around one of the mounting studs!! ](*,)

http://www.slidewaysonline.com/2007/03/07/tutorial-intake-manifold-removal-e30m20/

^^check out the link and look at the pictures. the first one shows the whole engine bay from the drivers side. Your vacuum lines are from the brake booster to the intake manifold. they are rather thin hoses, see if they are cracked, warped or the hose camps have come loose.

To test for leaks, have the engine idling and spray around the vacuum lines, intake manifold where it mates to the cylinder head.
I used brake parts cleaner w/o the red tube and sprayed it liberally around those hoses. I didnt have problems there.
As soon as i sprayed it around that part on the manifold, the engine rev'ed up a bit.

ALSO, before all that you could do a basic disassembly of the intake and put it back together. Sometimes doing that will fix leaks and find other problems. when i first got my e30 the rubber boot that connects the AFM to the throttle body had a tear on the bottom that i couldnt see. i replaced iit for cheap and that fixed my leak and my idle.

if you do both of those procedures and still cant find the leak, then there probably isn't one and you either have a pinched throttle cable or you need to adjust the idle cable. both of which are easy to do.

good luck and if you have any problems post here. superj will most likely reply super quick (hence his name). *dreams to be as good as superj*

[edit] just read your last post... you can take your ICV out and clean it brake cleaner, you'd be surprised how dirty it gets. you must let the cleaner evaporate completely and then re-install it.

dinanm3atl
03-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Yah. I really think it is the ICV.

If I hit it and unplug and plug in and then move connector around it comes back :)