PDA

View Full Version : motor oil......

BLAZEDe30
10-11-2003, 02:37 AM
i know this has been brought up endlessly in every forum, but i thought i should do it first on e30tech...

well, my alignment school teacher is a master mechanic for gm and obviously is very knowledgable when it comes to anything automotive....

i currently run Castrol GTX 10w-30 in my e30, but the teacher recommended that i use 5w-30 with prolong......what do u think about that ?.....

is there a different grade i should consider ??......

oh yea, i'm going to be using a k&n oil filter with my next oil change.....the prolong willhave to wait for the oil change after that cuz its too expensive, so i went with that Engine Restorer formula for 6cyl....

bluntheadtrauma
12-02-2003, 05:42 PM
i wouldnt put anything other than clean oil in your car. that teflon additive crap and all the other stuff they try to sell you is crap. cleaN OIL CHANGED REGULARLY is all you need. ive tortured cars with 200k on them and if you take care of them and stay on top of oil changes they last without any of that crap

user_punk
12-04-2003, 07:58 PM
I agree with Blunt; as long as you change it regularly you should be fine. Personally in the eta I use Mobil1 synthetic. The only problem I've noticed with it is that it's a little thinner than standard oil. Other than that I've had no problems. Just for argument sake: 1986 eta, 186k miles, 5-spd. I have noticed that it seems to run cooler when warmed up. Just my .02

Chris

decay
12-06-2003, 04:38 AM
i just switched my car to mobil1 10w30. it loves the stuff.

Josh Q
12-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Mobil 1 synthetic. I use 15W50 and love it. Might want to use different viscosity (sp?) depending on where you live but Mobil 1 is the best IMO.
-Josh

bluntheadtrauma
12-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Mobil 1 synthetic. I use 15W50 and love it. Might want to use different viscosity (sp?) depending on where you live but Mobil 1 is the best IMO.
-Josh

i run 15/50 mobil1 in my track car and change it about every 20 hours of track time give or take. maybe thats too much but its cheap insurance. on my street cars i run strictly dino oil 10/40w and change at 2k intervals. its worked excellent for me as ive never had an oil related failure in 30 years

bimmerjim®
12-07-2003, 05:52 AM
blunt is a wise....Old... man. :) he knows what hes talking about. :wink:

blunt.. when are we gonna race? i might be coming up to deans again in the spring or late winter to install a Mega Squirt... depending on what his plans are for his motor..

bluntheadtrauma
12-07-2003, 10:15 AM
blunt is a wise....Old... man. :) he knows what hes talking about. :wink:

blunt.. when are we gonna race? i might be coming up to deans again in the spring or late winter to install a Mega Squirt... depending on what his plans are for his motor..

keep me posted as to when youre going. id like to know a few weeks ahead of time so i can plan to shoot over there. its 5 hours from me but i have friends close by deanos house so ill make the trip to smoke your ass. my cars in pieces right now but it should be worthy by next spring

bimmerjim®
12-07-2003, 02:49 PM
good deal. ill keep you informed, or deano will. are you gonna be all motor in the spring? i heard a rumor you plan for force induce your car? it aught to be a good race if your still all motor, but if not.. i think i will get smoked :)

bluntheadtrauma
12-07-2003, 05:22 PM
good deal. ill keep you informed, or deano will. are you gonna be all motor in the spring? i heard a rumor you plan for force induce your car? it aught to be a good race if your still all motor, but if not.. i think i will get smoked :)

at some point ill supercharge it im sure but it wont be this winter. i have to pull the top end apart so im thinking ill do cams and retainers. but its all still up in the air. im getting a lot of timing chain noise at 3k and i think its vanos. im yanking the motor out soon because i want to install a lightweight flywheel and i figure ill just yank the entire motor/tranny and do it on the ground. at that point i can take my time and do some work to the top end out of the car. but to answer your question ill be all motor this summer im sure. i bet it will be a close race. ive seen video of yours and it looks brutal.

BoostMe
12-15-2003, 11:26 AM
i am running 10w30 semi synthetic now but i think im going to go back to full dino oil and 15w40 because i think that the thin oil is makin my valves tick a little to much i also have an oil leak that i cant seam to find the source of so i pit in a bottle of some stop leak stuff and it seamed to stop the leak. that leak is the reason i dodnt want to go to full synthetic

anyone have any experiance with high milage oil in a e30