PDA

View Full Version : MY TIMING BELT BROKE AGAIN!!!!! :(

Josh Q
02-26-2004, 04:30 PM
So I pulled out of my driveway and was doing about 10-15mph down our little hill when all the sudden it felt like the car went into neutral and the engine died. Knowning how a broken timing belt feels (from about a year and a half ago when it broke on my last engine) I tried turning it over for a second to make sure. Same sound as last time. Got my tools and took the valve cover off and guess what??? No belt on the cam gear. This has been the worst week of my life, among the million personal problems I've been having this happens right in the middle of them. Sorry about drifting off the subject there. My question is this, since I was going so slow is there ANY chance that I could put a new belt/tensioner/etc. on and see if it works? Or should I just take the head off and hope that I just have to replace a couple of valves? Also, am I doing something wrong when I put new timing belts on? I put the new belt on, get the water pump and tensioner fitted and then tighten the bolt on the tensioner. Is this not what I'm suppose to do? Or am I suppose to leave the bolts on the tensioner slightly loose to let it adjust itself? That wouldn't make sense to me but I'm lost as to why this has happened on two of my engines now (withing two years). Thanks for any help guys.
-Josh

Jay Stock E30
02-27-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm sorry to hear that man. There is a possibility that the head isn't a total wreck. Since you were going slow it might have only bent a valve or 2, the only way to know is pull the head. Its been awhile since I have done a timing belt, it seems that there is a spring that holds the tentioner in place isn't there?

If the belt is physicaly broken it seems that perhaps the belt was falty, if you can prove that it didn't last even close to its normal life span perhaps the company that you bought it from would compensate you (probally unlikely, but worth a try).

bimmerjim®
02-27-2004, 09:25 AM
that realy sucks man im sorry. but like what e30 tech said, the damage could be minimal, but more than likely there is some damage. if i remember corectly there is a tapered end bolt that holds the bottom of the tensioner pully and one on the top. the one on the bottom is tapered to alow the tensioner to move so it keeps tension on the belt. both bolts are (i think) suposed to be tightened to 20 ft lbs. not much. if they were to tight, the tensioner didnt take up the slack and it would have let the belt get to loose.

Josh Q
02-27-2004, 06:39 PM
I'll have to check the torque on the bolts this time. Like you guys said there should be only slight damage. I've heard for stories like mine that there were 2-4 valves damaged so that shouldn't be too much $$$. On my last broken belt I was going 70+mph and bent everything and the only thing that was ok was the actual head (amazing that it didn't crack or anything). I'm going to start taking the head off today and I'm going to take pics so you guys can see what happened. Luckily (but also unfortunately) I know how to take everything off so it shouldn't be that bad of a job. Thanks for you condolances (sp?).
-Josh

cmcon98
04-06-2011, 05:37 AM
You're supposed to install the tensioner with the bolts loose and the tension wheel pressed against the belt by the tensioner spring. With the bolts loose, use a wrench on the crank bolt to rotate the engine two full clockwise revolutions. While keeping clockwise tension on the wrench so the tensioner takes up all the belt slack, tighten the tensioner bolts to the correct torque.

Posaune
04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
You're supposed to install the tensioner with the bolts loose and the tension wheel pressed against the belt by the tensioner spring. With the bolts loose, use a wrench on the crank bolt to rotate the engine two full clockwise revolutions. While keeping clockwise tension on the wrench so the tensioner takes up all the belt slack, tighten the tensioner bolts to the correct torque.

Dude, read around on this site (http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3829) a little more and check the date on the threads you are responding to... Looks like you were trying to be helpful but...

chris325ix
04-06-2011, 08:07 AM
2004! lol. it's like a thread time capsule..

- my E30 was still stock & automatic
- I didn't have any gray hairs!
- I wasn't married
- no 1 year old boy to entertain me!

Brandon12V
04-06-2011, 08:24 AM
2004! lol. it's like a thread time capsule..

- my E30 was still stock & automatic
- I didn't have any gray hairs!
- I wasn't married
- no 1 year old boy to entertain me!

feel old yet? ;) oh gawd, where am I gonna be in 6 years...

chris325ix
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
not yet!

Doug Hitchcock
04-06-2011, 10:00 AM
A thread by Josh Q springs back to life?

Weird.

d.hitchcock

chris325ix
04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
oh man, I totally forgot about that. it is a bit wierd..