PDA

View Full Version : A lucky bastard story, feel free to be envious...

MadmaX
03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
It was better than Christmas...

I KNOW fluidyne doesn't(didn't) make a radiator for our cars. If they did, I still couldn't afford to buy one. Even so, I e-mailed them asking if they might someday offer an E30 application. The response was from someone in their R&D department. He said he personally drives an E36, which is how they came to offer one for that car. He claimed they had considered making an E30 radiator, but have never had time to actually come up with something. I offered to send him my OEM radiator for a template to see if it looked do-able.
About two weeks later he calls me at home and says "The E36 radiator appears slightly different from yours, but from any critical measuring points, it should fit the same. I'm sending you one now, tell me how it works." Sure enough, a couple days later the most beautiful radiator I've ever seen shows up at my door along with the OEM one I had sent earlier. Just like he guessed, it went right in. I called the guy back to tell him it works, and all he had to say was, "Good, thanks."

And that, dear friends, is how I got a free Fluidyne radiator.

bimmerjim®
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
lucky bastard. i want one!! :( i wonder if there gonna start producing them? or have they already started?

BoostMe
03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
wow

just wow

Bob Loblaw
03-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Cool story. You're also from Lincoln, NE? I'm assuming you know Jim?

bimmerjim®
03-22-2004, 05:47 PM
he saw me in my car and the e30 tech dot com sticker and found this site :)

but we have never met...

Bob Loblaw
03-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Cool. You should start the E30Tech.com Lincoln Chapter. :) I'm not sure it'll be a big group though. Sorta like here, come to think of it...

bimmerjim®
03-22-2004, 06:03 PM
you can be the offical canadian president.

swartz
03-22-2004, 06:10 PM
so then the e36 one will fit right in no modification. maybe i should buy one what do u think jim

MadmaX
03-22-2004, 08:06 PM
I suspect a dude could call them right now and order one. It wasn't like they had to change anything to make it work.

Try to talk to a Paul Hammond out there if you can. He's the swell guy who gave me mine. And I'd sure like him to see some credit for moving a few of those things out of the warehouse.

I've never seen anything so well made. Beware, it did make the rest of my engine compartment look kind of shabby by comparison. It's just sooo pretty.

Chris
03-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Any pics?

MadmaX
03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
I don't own a digital camera(man, I really am broke). I've got a 35mm and a scanner, but that sounds like a lot of work. Not that this thing doesn't deserve to have it's picture taken...
Just imagine the most beautifully crafted piece of aluminium you've ever seen. I love shiny stuff when it's under the hood.

Chris
03-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Sorry to heat that. I have a pretty good idea of what she looks like.