PDA

View Full Version : MAF conversions

Chapel
10-20-2003, 11:02 AM
What are the options and what are the prices?

rs4pro3
10-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Split second-$900
Pro-flo(modern performace)-$450(ruffly)
Do it your self with a piggy back computer-$300 or so.
There are many different options, it just depends if you want a plug and play kit, or if you want to do some wiring and figuring out diagrams.
IT can be done for around $300.
You can use either a Mustang 5.0 liter MAF(split second uses this MAF)
then you need some sort of signal calibration box, to convert the MAF signal to work with the AFM based ECU.

bimmerjim®
10-28-2003, 07:03 AM
mega squirt. DIY and youll spend less than 200.00.

no MAF, no AFM. just a 2 bar map sencer conected to a vacume line. complete free flowing intake with no restriction.

Jay Stock E30
11-05-2003, 11:53 AM
I am looking at starting my second turbo setup, but was thinking about starting the mega squirt conversion this winter, installing it and getting it running. Partly because I want to get that portion done, partly because I need a project to work on, and partly because I am curious to see if there are any HP gains to be had by loosing the AFM and tuning out the system. I saw in your list of mods that you are running the mega squirt fuel computer, so I was wondering if you had gotten yours tuned in yet, any advice or thoughts on the build ect. Thanks

Chapel
11-13-2003, 03:41 PM

no MAF, no AFM. just a 2 bar map sencer conected to a vacume line. complete free flowing intake with no restriction.

does it work with the stock ECU fuel and ignition maps?
I dont want to have to create my own, Id rather use JimCs ;)

bimmerjim®
11-14-2003, 05:48 AM
no, its not a piggy back, so you have to build your own fuel maps but it does not use ignition. so, you use the stock ecu for ignition. even so, its still a helluva lot cheaper than a jim c chip alone.

chesster6969
11-16-2003, 06:16 AM
Just use an SMT6, its a piggyback system. That's what I've yet to install. Im going to use it to run a Mustang MAF in the near future. Check out www.perfectpower.com

Jay Stock E30
11-16-2003, 12:46 PM
I will be starting the turbo project on my 325is hopefully in the next few months. So I am looking for a fuel computer or a piggy back system. I will probally go with Mega Squirt, but I would like to learn more about the smt6/smt7. So I'm looking for peoples experience with it.

That being said, keep us posted on how it works ect. Thanks

bimmerjim®
11-16-2003, 01:38 PM
localy, i build and install MS's in peoples car. the curent project is my friend matt and his 83 volkswagen. right now it has mechanical fuel injection so were converting it to MPFI. were also turbocharging it with a t3 super 60. this one should be pritty fast. :)

Jay Stock E30
11-16-2003, 03:10 PM
that is a cool project..what a sleeper.

I take it then that you have had good sucess with the MS system. Thats probally the route I will go, I wana start building it soon, its its ready to go when the rest of the turbo stuff starts happening.

Any tips for a first time builder?

bimmerjim®
11-16-2003, 11:18 PM
practice sodering (sp?) very fine wires!! it mostly electrical stuff

i used to be a stereo installer so iv got plenty of practice.

Josh Q
12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
What part of the project takes the soldering? Might be a newb question but I've been researching the whole turbo thing for a few months and haven't heard about any soldering. Thanks.
-Josh

Jay Stock E30
12-02-2003, 05:34 PM
for the mega squirt you have to solder chips ect onto a circut board.

plus you should solder any wires you splice under the hood to keep them from getting corroded and becoming unrelible.

PatNy
12-15-2003, 08:56 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.... :oops: please educate me

Jay Stock E30
12-16-2003, 09:59 AM
The ecu in you car needs to know how much air is flowing into the engine. Our e30's have an AFM (air flow meter) which is basicly a flap door attached to a spring and reostat which sends a signal to the ECU (engine computer).

Newer bmw's have a MAS (Mass air flow sensor) This is much less restrictive. It is basicly a short piece of pipe the size of the intake runner with a squair mesh and small metal sensor inside. This is much less restrictive.

Other cars use what is called a MAP sensor. I am not 100% sure on how this works, but I think that it is just a small vaccuume line that runs from the intake to a computer chip, and it is able to determain the air volume.

PatNy
12-16-2003, 07:56 PM
thank you for the explanation...what would be a gain from this conversion

Jay Stock E30
12-16-2003, 08:25 PM
less restriction in the intake, so more hp. Also you would gain the ability to tune the engine to some degree.

mspiegle
12-29-2003, 12:34 PM
I have performed the MAF conversion on my 325is. I used the MAF from a '98 328i. I am using the SMT6 to condition the signal.

Much better throttle response, a little more power, nice sound.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1591

Very sorry for the lack of pictures/writeup. I'm working on it ... trying to score myself a digicam.

josh87is
10-17-2007, 11:48 PM

wow this sounds interesting wouldnt mined hearing more about it