PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam VS Tap water.

Giga Shadow
04-24-2004, 08:20 PM
First off, Does anyone use Sea foam or Molly valve cleaner?

I was reading some thread on R3vlimited about sea foam and how it SOOO magical.. :roll:

Then I remembered a thread on Bimmerforum about this guy who got higher compression numbers by useing normal tap water to clean the seats and mainly to clean the piston tops.

Anyway, I tryed the tap water just now to see if there's a diffrence in ANYTHING..

Well, as far as I can tell....
There was no diffrence in acceleration, but the idle was smoother.

I really wish I had a compression gauge so I could of tested the resault :cry:

Have you guys had any experiences with this type of treatment?
What's your opinions on all this?

:idea:

BTW: At first I was scared to give it too much water, but in the end I could let the vacum hose sit in a bucket of water letting it get sucked up as quick as it can... No Problems.. :)

Just remember to give it some revs like 3k or it will bog and turn off.

MadmaX
04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
If removing carbon frees up the rings or helps the valves seat better you may see better compression. But getting the carbon off the top of the piston would actually reduce compression. Anyway, buy a gauge. They're only $20-$30, tool purchases are always easy to justify. If you take care of your stuff you'll have them your whole life. Unlike the average car I sell in six months...

colin86325
04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
I've used Techron and distilled water to do this when I was chasing a pinging problem. I didn't really notice any difference as the pinging problem was actually a bad intake gasket.

I'd use distilled water; my tap water leaves mineral deposits on things when it evaporates.

Change the oil afterwards.

Giga Shadow
04-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Madmax: The guy originally wanted to LOWER compression for an upcoming smog test, but ironically RAISED compression by cleaning the seats.

Colin: At least you get the satisfaction of knowing that you've "cleaned" your piston tops/ seats/ valves :occasion5:
:smt117 <----What the hell does this icon mean? lol