PDA

View Full Version : general m20 and soft top Q

///m42 sport
05-07-2004, 06:20 PM
are the m20's rev happy? assuming you do the preventative maintenance such as adjusting the valves and changing the timing belt, is does the m20 rev like a m42?

Also I was wondering how long a soft top lasts before it has to be replaced?

MadmaX
05-08-2004, 10:14 AM
rev happy? It's all relative. What are you used to revving. B18C5? Not that rev happy. Quad4? More rev happy than that. 2.5litre M20s are more rev happy than 2.7's. But they're both short stroke engines which usually means they like rpms.

Soft tops last as long as you take care of them.

Josh Q
05-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah the M20s can be taken up to 8000-8500rpms (if I remember correctly) if you build it up right (takes LOTS of money). Also, to make those rpms worth while you have to get a high profile cam to make use of the high rpms. And once you get that type of cam in there, you won't be able to use it for street use as you will be idling at like 1200rpms and have no power until you hit about 4000rpms and you would have to feather the clutch everywhere. The other thing to remember is if you were to take the rpms that high you would have to put custom pulleys on the a/c and p/s (if you have them), and definetely put a bigger pulley on the alternator or else they will all burn up due to being designed for lower rpms. But the M20 won't be as naturally rev happy as the M42, S14, or M10.

I've seen soft tops last the lifetime of the car if it has been taken car of since new. If not I've seen them replaced at 100k miles from poor/non-existent care.

Chris
05-08-2004, 01:41 PM
It helps if the soft top is/was garaged, obviously.

Jay Stock E30
05-08-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't know that m10 and rev happy belong in the same sentence.

That being said I'v had some discussions with guy who have owned both an m42 and an m20. They say the difference comes when you are used to driving the m20, and go back to an m42. The m20 "comes alive" at about 3.5k rpms, feels like a totally different motor, its got decent torque in the lower rpm's probaly more than the m42, but boy does it kick at 4k and above. I have no problem reving my m20 to redline, sounds and feels great.