PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable timing gear...worth it?

Josh Q
05-12-2004, 12:01 PM
So Jim brought up a product I had forgotten about, the adjustable timing gear. I know you can somewhat tune where the power curve is with this thing but is it really worth it ($275 before shipping)? I think I will have one made possibly, maybe that would be cheaper? I've got a spare sprocket that I could modify possibly.

bimmerjim®
05-12-2004, 01:48 PM
tipicaly youll gain 3-5 wheel hp when a cam gear has been tuned, and you might loose a few grams of rotateing mass from the valvetrain.

Josh Q
05-12-2004, 02:18 PM
So the adjustable cam gears are lighter? That's cool. Maybe it is worth it then to get those extra hp. I mean if you do that, chip, exhaust, and some type of filter maybe you could gain 25hp? I just read an article that said the JC chip gave their '89 325i (stock everything) a 14.3 torque and 15.4 hp gain at the wheels. That comes to 18.7tq and 20.1hp gain at the flywheel. So if just the chip does that then you could easily get an extra 25hp gain at the flywheel...maybe that much at the wheels.

bimmerjim®
05-12-2004, 03:15 PM
its possible. but yeah, most adjustable timeg gears are made of aluminum. and are slightly lighter that the steel. where did you find a cam gear at?

Josh Q
05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
http://www.bmpdesign.com/products/acc/engine/camsprockets.shtml

diegom6
05-12-2004, 03:41 PM
When I purchased my car I was thinking on that, but never did it...

A friend of the net told me, that his friend putted some Headers on his 325iX and gained 2 HP and5 Tq...lol Then I tought (like always) that the headers doesn't do much...not worth the money anyways the thread is for the gear, if you know how to do it, advance some degrees go ahead, it should improve a bit the power band.

250 JC Chipp
220 Cam gear
70 + - FIlter
plus whatever else you buy will be arround $540 time to start to sving for a Turbo I think...lol

modifiede30
05-12-2004, 08:09 PM
You can actually adjust the existing gear by drilling out the cog and moving it within a slotted hole (with a bolt on each side to close the gap. I've heard of people doing this but I'd prefer to just buy the one that's made to be adjustable.