PDA

View Full Version : She will be running once again!!!!!

Josh Q
06-01-2004, 12:13 PM
So it's official, I have ordered everything I need for the head I'm buying from Jim. I just ordered the complete head gasket set, timing belt set, coolant, head bolts, and new front/rear roundels and new wheel roundels. Got to get my car ready by June 27th for our e30 picnic. This will be the first year (out of three years I've gone) that my car will be running for the event. Anyway, I do have a technical question. When I put the head on the block, how do I line up the timing? I know my Bentley will tell me how but it's buried somewhere and I can't find it.

modifiede30
06-01-2004, 12:24 PM
There is a mark on the cam gear and head. These need to be aligned. There is a notch in the lower timing belt cover and on the lower belt gear (the crankshaft gear). These also need to be aligned. Make sure that you have everything aligned before you remove the old belt. Then remove and reinstall making sure that the gears stay in alignment with the head and timing cover marks. Then rotate the crank 2 revolutions with the tensioner loosened. Validate that the marks are still aligned after you have spun the engine 2 revolutions, and tighten down the tensioner to torque specs.

Josh Q
06-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry I didn't make my message clear. The head and everything is already taken off from when my t-belt broke a few months ago. Now I'm putting a head from one engine on the block in my car. Hope that makes sense.