e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Transmission etc.
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
M20_Fever

E30: '90 328iS
M20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I've seen high HP e30s with BBK setups run hard and never seen that issue. I don't recall from when I had mine out, but it looks like something is supposed to go on that breather nipple. I'd have to go search RealOEM, no time right now.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC Champion C Prepared
HSAX Instructor
M20_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
euro2fast4u

E30: 1987 325e Turbo has arrived!
euro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond repute

Yea there is a plastic cover for that hole.

euro2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
bmw-slangen

E30: 323i, 325ik
bmw-slangen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to bmw-slangen

Yeah, yeah your're correct - it is just a plastic cover (as euro2fast4u said) to prevent dirt falling into the vent hole.

I of course removed this plastic cover when I did the video (and every time I inspected the gearboxes).

You see it in the picture further down here on both my Getrag 260/5 (both the newer to the left and the older to the right).

That plastic cover is on these very loosely and can move freely up an down. And it must be able to do so. That's how built up pressure can be released.

Agree, I thought more people should have had this problem. Guys racing standard E30's (in various countries) seemed to be more aware of the problem - couldn't explain it thoroughly other than they usually connected a breather hose (which solved the problem if you route it up in the engine bay which is what you usually end up doing).

By experience and this is very simplified view but in general E30's with high HP usually don't end up on the race track (which means different things in different countries but here I mean a track with turns). If they do, they usually accelerate like a mad man on the straight and then brake very early and gently before the corner and then simply rolling through the corners until a long straight appears. This because they are mainly built for the drag strip, or having fun on the street in straight lines.

And also in general and personal experience, E30's with BBK don't usually end up on the track. Around 80% of them are for show, and if the brakes are used it is very light braking.

But then we have what you observed, high HP with BBK, good chassi and most probably r-tyres as well being driven hard. But these rarely keep the stock Getrag 260/5 gearbox :-)

So I was thinking that it might be a design weakness in the very early Getrag 260/5, but then it popped up on the later Getrag 260/5 as well. But maybe it is limited to these type of gearboxes and that is why we don't see it as often?

Last edited by bmw-slangen : 07-06-2017 at 12:27 PM.
bmw-slangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
M20_Fever

E30: '90 328iS
M20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond reputeM20_Fever has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much all my experience with e30s is on track, and I've never seen this issue. Still seems very odd. You said you had to tilt the box nearly 45* to reproduce the issue, on a properly setup chassis that would almost never happen, unless a track has a major grade drop into a hard braking zone. I know with my J-Stock setup and BBK I can out brake most cars on the track and even at tire threshold I get very little nose dive.

Did the DTM M3s run a breather hose up to the engine bay? I would think if this was a design flaw those transmissions would present the issue as well.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC Champion C Prepared
HSAX Instructor
M20_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote