e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Electronics & Lighting
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 06-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Wille30
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: IX Touring
Wille30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuse 21 issues!

I have a 88 IX touring, and I am having an electrical issue that is driving me insane. I haven't gotten too far with it despite hours of troubleshooting and my interior being completely disassembled.

I will start with the symptoms, I was driving over a bumpy road at the cottage that was covered in snow and ice. I actually ended up getting stuck because the bottom of the car was on the icy snow. Anyways, I was unstuck with about 2 hours of digging and pushing. Everything was great except my tach became erratic along with the radio. Then about a week later I lost the OBC and the Radio and Tach both completely quit. So now I have no tach, no OBC, No radio and no interior lights (which I just noticed).

Now I am at the stage of troubleshooting. I grounded the multi meter at the battery and went ahead testing. Firstly I started with the Radio constant 12V, which gave me a reading of 3ish Volts. So I thought maybe it was the fuse so of course I confirmed it was fuse 21 by removing it, and the multimeter went from 3ishV to 0. Thinking it may have been the fuse I swapped it out and tested both sides of the fuse and they both read 12ishV. Next I tried unplugging the OBC, which did not change the voltage, I also tested the #2 pin on the C1 connector and got the same reading of 3ishV. I did get 12V at the cigarette lighter which I thought was on the same fuse?

Does anyone know what I should check next? Could it be a ground that I damaged bottoming out in the snow? Or did the bumpy road just dislodge something perhaps?
Wille30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
euro2fast4u

E30: 1987 325e Turbo has arrived!
euro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BM...g%20Manual.pdf

So if you go to page 21 you will see the main systems that fuse 21 serves.

I would check the glove box light and mini charging light area in the glove box. dome lights and trunk light. as you havent checked those yet.

Last edited by euro2fast4u : 06-10-2016 at 11:52 AM.
euro2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote