e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > All-Wheel-Drive iX
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #711
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

E30: Got a few of them
Forced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant future

The e30 is surprisingly stiff compared to most cars of the day. Take most 80's cars and jack them at one corner and tell me how well the door opens - or how high you have to go to get the other wheel on that side to pick up.
Instagram: FEED
YouTube: CHANNEL
Forced_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #712
TheDarkSideofWill

E30: 325iX Wannabe
TheDarkSideofWill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
The e30 is surprisingly stiff compared to most cars of the day. Take most 80's cars and jack them at one corner and tell me how well the door opens - or how high you have to go to get the other wheel on that side to pick up.
I had a Pontiac 6000 AWD (One of 2500). If I jacked it under the forward cradle crossmember--which was <12" forward of the front axle centerline--the doors would be visibly out of alignment.

I don't doubt that the E30 is good compared to many vehicles of the day. However, it is a very light car and structural stiffness is one of the penalties paid for light weight.
TheDarkSideofWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #713
Coyote

E30: 320i 1984
Coyote will become famous soon enoughCoyote will become famous soon enough

The stiffness of the shell is quite good by modern standards. it wont get 5 stars on the euro ncap, but its still better than many cheap cars.

the biggest difference, id say is on the side impact. on the e30 thats not THAT good, and there is where many modern cars have a lot of weight spent in rigidity. frontal impact is pretty decent considering the age of the car.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #714
TheDarkSideofWill

I appreciate the point of view, but crash safety and torsional stiffness are two different things.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #715
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

E30: Got a few of them
Forced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant futureForced_Firebird has a brilliant future

Torsional, the e30 is light years ahead of my Camaro and Firebird lol.
Instagram: FEED
YouTube: CHANNEL
Forced_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #716
TheDarkSideofWill

I had put a bolt in the empty hole in the power steering pump bracket a few weeks ago, but it got really stiff as I was turning it in, so I didn't run it all the way down.
Tonight I pulled it and ran a tap into the hole. That wasn't easy because there's not enough clearance between the bolt hole and the radiator for a tap handle, so I had to use a 5mm wrench... which broke as I was backing the tap out the last time.

So that bolt goes all the way in easily now. I also cleaned up the bolt and hole where the tensioner rack/pinion/bar thing bolts to the bracket, and it runs in/out easily all the way. I can throw a PS belt on it tomorrow and have my PS back! Sweeeet.

Bad News: Discovered that I have a small leak on top of my fuel tank. Sigh. I *should* be able to snug those clamps up through the access ports, but didn't get to it today.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #717
SS350

E30: 89 332iX
SS350 is on a distinguished road

Wow I have some serious 32v iX swapping to catch up on - some seriously impressive time and research spent on a non-franken-oil-pan option. Very nice.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #718
TheDarkSideofWill

Thanks! I has been way more work than I first thought, and much more work remains, too!

Most of the swap discussion is now here, though: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=308093

Nice swap on your part!

Last edited by TheDarkSideofWill : 07-06-2015 at 08:18 PM.