e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > All-Wheel-Drive iX
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Nevermind

E30: '89 325is (probably pop cans now RIP) '87 325iS '84 320i
Nevermind will become famous soon enoughNevermind will become famous soon enough

If its the rear driveshaft, its only possible to be out of alignment by 180degrees as the U-joints MUST both be in the same plane.

"Typical of BMW cars is their ability to accelerate smoothly up to high engine speeds, but also to give you plenty of lusty bottom-end power" - Euro owners manual
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
chris325ix

E30: '91 325ix
chris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond repute

The ix driveshaft only has one u-joint...

Unless you pulled the slip yoke off, its not really possible to misalign it. It doesnt matter how you put it back on the car - but it's probably worth checking the dots on the driveshaft in case the mechanic messed it up.
chris325ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
rtwaits
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 325ic
rtwaits can only hope to improve

I will try driving it a bit. I talked to the mechanic, who said that since there is no carrier bearing, there is only one way to put it back on. Is the same true for the front?
I guess I am slightly confused on the rear driveshaft's orientation. If from the transfer case it connects to a guibo and from there connects to a universal (which should be good else he would have replaced it ) and then to the rear-most u joint. No splines directly involved.
rtwaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
chris325ix

E30: '91 325ix
chris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond repute

yes

the only exception is if he pulled the driveshaft off the rear yoke, then it is possible to misalign it. you can check though to see if the white dots still line up (hopefully they are still visible).

there is no front U-joint. there is only a U-joint at the yoke that connects to the rear diff.
chris325ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #15
mybimr

E30: '89is,'88ix,'91ic,'91i,'88is
mybimr can only hope to improve

Here's my theory that I will check tomorrow. I have the exact same issue. I put in a new/rebuilt ds and have the vibration you describe. Even though the old ujoint was shot, I didn't have this much vibration. I've also replaced the worn wheel bearings to no avail.

I suspect the I didn't extend the ds far enough to properly preload it into place. If that doesn't do it, then I'm fairly confident the input bearing on the diff might be worn, allowing the wobble. But this would not explain why replacing the ds was the only difference between no vibes and vibes.
mybimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
rtwaits
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

Mechanic drove it and believes it is tire flat spots. So we inflated the tires to 40 psi and we will see. car is pretty tight otherwise. I have some bottlcaps with ancient tires on them, but I dont know their true condition and the could be worse. So I will keep you posted! Happy New Year!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
rtwaits
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

Well after a couple weeks driving around the tires do not seem to have rounded their flat spots. If that is the problem. I am still trying to understand exactly what gets out of alignment that weights and shaft orientation correct.
For the rear, there is no CSB, and there is a new transfer case. So any orientation being 180 off (rear u-joint) or 120 off (3 hole connection into the guibo/transfer case), but one of the two points of reference are gone - the trasnfer case (new) and the rear diff. Similarly on the front.

So it almost sounds that for trhe rear, there are 6 possibilities (3 for front and 2 for rear)
and the front shaft has 3 (guibo connection ) or dozens (splines into front output shaft of transfer case?)

The car did not have this problem before, and it seems to be in the steering wheel and the seat, implying a problem in front and rear.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:28 AM   #18
sicktim

E30: 1989 325iX
sicktim can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to sicktim

Have you found a solution to your vibration problem? I have a similar issue (and a myriad of other more serious issues at the moment) where I only get vibrations from 60 - 75 mph and I hear a subtle click when I start out in 1st gear. I am confused though because after reading through different posts I do not know how many guibos our cars have. I thought there were just two (front DS and rear DS) and then a U-joint that connects to the rear differential. Are both/all the guibos the same part?

1989 325iX
sicktim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #19
Supernaught

E30: 89 325 IX
Supernaught is a jewel in the roughSupernaught is a jewel in the roughSupernaught is a jewel in the rough

2 guibos, one at the TC output to the rear DS, and the other at the input to the front diff from front DS.
The rear DS has guibo on front end, Ujoint at the back end. The front shaft has guibo at front end, solid at the TC end.
Technically there is another flex disc between the trans and TC but it's pretty solid.

Vibration could be man many different things, a lot of which can be inspected visually. Look at your CV boots/joints, trans mounts(they're rubber and can rot out), subframe/trailing arm bushings, etc.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
Supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
StevesGarage
DIY Enthusiast.

E30: 329i 88 RHD Manual Zino
StevesGarage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwaits View Post
The vibration occurs in neutral too.
As in, car stationary + neutral? If that's the case, it sounds like your flywheel/clutch/pressure plate is unbalanced/badly aligned/off centre.

Checked engine/transmission mounts?

Edit: oops, didn't realise this was related to an iX - no idea about those, sorry.
StevesGarage is offline   Reply With Quote