e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > All-Wheel-Drive iX
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
ChrisPaegelow

E30: '91 325iX (RiP)
ChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really nice
Thumbs up How to replace a busted CV joint and generally fix up the front suspension!

I went to Houghton, MI this weekend, and I took the iX.
It did awesome, 325 miles each way, and it tore right through all kinds of bad weather; snow, freezing rain, regular rain, you name it.

Anyway, I got back to Milwaukee today, and the alley behind my house was a hell of ice, slush, and standing water, as usual. No problem, I thought.

Well I pulled in, made it about 30 feet, and got stuck. Totally stuck! I was amazed because I was in maybe two inches of slushy snow, and I had just driven hundreds of miles at highway speed through much worse.

So in the process of trying to get unstuck, I had the steering wheel at full lock, accelerated, and I heard an awful 'clunkclunkclunkclunkclunkclunkclunkclunkclunkclun k' noise.

What the hell. I got out and took a look at the front driver's side wheel, and the half-shaft had pulled out of the hub and was sitting on the control arm!

After 45 minutes of shoveling and salting the alley, I finally got the car in the garage. I haven't taken a closer look at the half shaft yet, because I was totally soaked and frustrated.

Anyway, I'm not sure when it came out. The car seemed to be driving totally normal, until I got stuck. However, the last hour or so I was driving in only rain, no snow or ice, so it wasn't so obvious. If I was driving around with the half shaft out, would it have damaged anything?

I'm not sure what is broken or what is going on yet. I've only had this car for two months, and I haven't really done any drivetrain work, so I don't really know how everything goes together.

Hopefully I'll have time to get out to the garage and jack up the car and check it out tonight yet. I'll take some pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

My biggest concern right now though is that the shaft might have been out for a while and I could have messed something up by driving like that!

Last edited by ChrisPaegelow : 04-10-2008 at 11:49 PM.
ChrisPaegelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

E30: none atm
FuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud ofFuryriderX has much to be proud of

did the CV come apart? or did the spline pull out of the hub? theres a massive nut and a lock plate that holds the end of the shaft into the hub. did these come off?

thats crazy, never heard of that happening before.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
ChrisPaegelow

ChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really nice
Default Damage Report

I finally got up the courage to go find out what was broken... Here are some pictures:

You might notice I have no sway bar link on this side. It was broken when I got the car. I got new ones, but I haven't had time to cut the old nuts and bolts off yet (they're really stuck).

So my theory is that since I have a link on the right side, the sway bar bounced up and down whenever the right wheel went over a bump. Since it wasn't attached to anything on the left side, it was free to constantly tap on the half-shaft, and that eventually vibrated it loose. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm still not really sure how this whole assembly goes together. Can you guys see from the pictures what is wrong?

What should I start taking apart first to get started?

Also, and this is what I'm most worried about, I don't know how far I drove with this shaft out. Could I have seriously messed up anything else by driving around like this?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
tsweers89

E30: looking
tsweers89 is an unknown quantity at this point

you def couldnt of drove that long with it like that becuase you def would of heard it. It prob happened when you said you cranked it and then started hearing the noise.
tsweers89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
ejohnson

E30: m-tech vert
ejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Well, looks like your going to need a new shaft. You blew up the bearing assembly in there all over your street.
http://www.zazzle.com/5nahalf/
Untucked diving board crew member 666
"I am that ass-hole doing 95mph in a blizzard"
ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
ChrisPaegelow

Quote:
you def couldnt of drove that long with it like that becuase you def would of heard it. It prob happened when you said you cranked it and then started hearing the noise.
I think you're right. When I was coming down from the U.P. through northern Wisconsin and through Green Bay, we went through a huge snowstorm. I was the only car in the left lane, flying through 3 or 4 inches of snow at 65+ and the car was solid as a rock. I'm sure that wouldn't have happened without AWD working!

But the last 100 miles or so was just rain so it would have been harder to tell. So I'm not sure.

What holds the end of the shaft in the hub? I don't know if something broke, or what.

I'm going to start taking stuff apart soon, but I need to go get some tools after school first.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
ChrisPaegelow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post
Well, looks like your going to need a new shaft. You blew up the bearing assembly in there all over your street.
Do you mean the bearing in the hub?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
ejohnson

ejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPaegelow View Post
Do you mean the bearing in the hub?
Inside the boot is a race with 6 large balls in there, your missing that part. looks like your end just exploded out, There is a cap that holds all the guts in there, that also seems to be gone. If you can find a cv with a junk inner joint to can fix yours, but you might be out of luck on this one, and have to buy a new one. BTW the outer cv joint is the same right and left.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Q5Quint

E30: 89 325is
Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Q5Quint

I just changed my front wheel bearing and all I can say is

holy sh*t what happened?!?!

Here is my theory: lack of that front sway allowed the front wheel to move more than it should in a direction that caused the shaft to pop out of the wheel. You said it happened at full lock soooooo... pop it looks pretty out. I cant figure how it did it while keeping the retaining nut on though.... wtf

To give you an idea of how impossible this should be... I broke 2 bearing pullers trying to get my passenger side shaft out and it wouldnt budge. After a few good whacks with the ole sledge + a puller the driver side did come out and I managed to change the drivers side wheel bearing. If your shaft just popped out by itself there is seriously something wrong with the front of your car.... on top of the shaft itself not being in the wheel lol

At speed that thing would be flinging around and knocking into all sorts of stuff~ you should uhhhh put it back in the wheel? If it just popped out in the driveway it hasnt banged around too much and the cvs might still be ok. I just banged the cv back in with a hammer and metal rod.... dont bang the abs sensor or it will come off the axle...

wait a minute

where is the abs sensor?????? wtf? Did the axle seperate at the cv then? and the front part w/sensor and splines is still stuck in the wheel hub? woah man~ not good. might need new front axle in that case. A few people are parting out ixs and I would look into it.

Check out my Turbo recipe!
Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Q5Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
ejohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5Quint View Post

wait a minute

where is the abs sensor?????? wtf? Did the axle seperate at the cv then? and the front part w/sensor and splines is still stuck in the wheel hub? woah man~ not good. might need new front axle in that case. A few people are parting out ixs and I would look into it.
Thats what happened, the nut is still in there, the CV it self blew up, there is no repairing on this. He is left with getting a new shaft or a new outer CV joint from a used axle.