e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > All-Wheel-Drive iX
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
1990m3

E30: 88ix/89m3/90m3/91 318is
1990m3 is an unknown quantity at this point

email bennetts22@aol.com, he is in Appleton and might have a part for you. Tough luck dude, but if it makes you feel any better I've bent two wheels this winter on these messed up Milwaukee streets in my iX...finding replacement are not easy either.

Good luck, that sucks!
1990m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
ChrisPaegelow

E30: '91 325iX (RiP)
ChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990m3 View Post
email bennetts22@aol.com, he is in Appleton and might have a part for you. Tough luck dude, but if it makes you feel any better I've bent two wheels this winter on these messed up Milwaukee streets in my iX...finding replacement are not easy either.

Good luck, that sucks!
Thanks! I will email that guy.
ChrisPaegelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
ChrisPaegelow

ChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really niceChrisPaegelow is just really nice

I want to start taking this thing apart and get going on it, but let me make sure I have the right idea, since there's no iX stuff in the Bentley manual.

I already have the wheel off and the car jacked up.

So what I need to do next is take off that 30mm hub nut, right?
And then the brake caliper, then the rotor.
And then disconnect the tie rod and control arm.
Then go under the hood and undo the three nuts that hold up the strut.

Then I should have my strut out, right?

I'm going to see if I can get to that point and see where I'm at.

As far as new parts, I'm going to need at least an outer CV joint, or else the whole axle, right? Am I also going to need a new wheel bearing? Is there anything else I'm going to need?

Also, what special tools will I need?

Thanks so much for your help everyone!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
ejohnson

E30: m-tech vert
ejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond repute

OK, well its a pretty easy thing to do.

First take off your caliper and rotor
Then you need to take off the dust shield, (three 10mm bolts)
Then you need to take off your lower control arm nut, 22mm I think
in order to split the joint take a hammer and hit the control arm at the farthest out part. You will need to hit it a couple of times, do not use a pickle fork. The dust shield that you pulled off gives to access to the spot you need to hit.
you do not need to remove the strut, or the steering links.
Now remove your 30mm nut with a impact gun(if you dont have a impact, then take the nut off before you remove the brakes.
Use a metal punch and a hammer to force the shaft out of the hub, do not hit the shaft with the hammer or you will mushroom the shaft and it will never come out.
Now that the end shaft is out of the strut, use a pry bar to remove it from the front diff.

Now since your car already has the CV joint broken you can remove the shaft from the diff first to give you some more room to work it.

You will not need a new wheel bearing, all your going to need it your new shaft.
http://www.zazzle.com/5nahalf/
Untucked diving board crew member 666
"I am that ass-hole doing 95mph in a blizzard"
ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
ChrisPaegelow

Thanks for the fast response!
Yeah I guess I have no reason to take the whole strut out.
Is this a thing that if I replace on one side I should do the other side at the same time? Or can I just fix what's broken and that's good enough?

I think I have a good idea what needs to be done now, I just need to find replacement parts...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #16
ejohnson

ejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPaegelow View Post
Thanks for the fast response!
Yeah I guess I have no reason to take the whole strut out.
Is this a thing that if I replace on one side I should do the other side at the same time? Or can I just fix what's broken and that's good enough?

I think I have a good idea what needs to be done now, I just need to find replacement parts...
Check the boots on the other side, if they are dry, cracked, or otherwise in bad shape then replace the the boots on that side. You do not need to replace both sides at the same time.

Im at work with nothing to do but look at the boards, so I give fast posts.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #17
ChrisPaegelow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post
Im at work with nothing to do but look at the boards, so I give fast posts.
I know the feeling!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #18
ejohnson

My friend will be putting brand new front axles in his iX soon, I will try to grab his old ones and see if the outer joints are any good. Im not sure when he is doing this though, could be a couple of weeks.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
ChrisPaegelow

That would be awesome if I haven't gotten it done by then yet. Hopefully I can get it done as soon as possible though.

Where did your friend get new axles from?
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
ejohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPaegelow View Post
That would be awesome if I haven't gotten it done by then yet. Hopefully I can get it done as soon as possible though.

Where did your friend get new axles from?
BMW, I get a 50-75% discount from the dealership.