e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > All-Wheel-Drive iX
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 04-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
ejohnson

E30: m-tech vert
ejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond repute
Default 325iX buyers guide

Looking at picking up one of BMWs greatest AWD sports car? well there are a few things you should know about them while you are looking. First, here is a little background info/specs on the car

Now when you go to look at your very first iX. First thing is first, look at the front CV boots. Are they torn? If so, talk the price down alot... new shafts can be upwards of $1000 each, the cv joint could be fine, but its your chance to get the price down some more. If the boots are good, then you should be good to go on that part. The front diff is pretty hard to break, so dont worry about that one. Control arms and steering racks are iX only parts, so check them for wear and adjust price as needed.

Next, look at the tires, are they the same size? If they are not the same sized tires, walk away right there. There is a good chance the t-case will be damaged due to wheels turning at different speeds for a extended time. Wheels, for the iX only work on the iX, but 2wd wheels will work on the awd cars (offsets and what not)

You may want to check to see if the t-case works. In order to do that you need to jack up the rear of the car with a floor jack. Make sure your on a flat clear surface. Jack the car by the rear diff (with a block of wood) and slowly try to drive forward with just the front wheels on the ground. Here is a video to show you how. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4exvt2_Yjc

Rust!! this is the leading cause of iX death.. since they are awd most people use them in northern areas that use salt. Common places that these thing will rust are:
front fenders under the wheel flares
front and rear jack pads
rear battery tray
rear corner of door jam
lisence plate lights
rear most part of pop out windows

That is about all I can think of right now, but would like to tell you right off the bat, a iX that needs work will cost you big time to repair. A iX that doesnt need any work will cost alot less over the years... you can catch any problems before they become a big issue.
http://www.zazzle.com/5nahalf/
Untucked diving board crew member 666
"I am that ass-hole doing 95mph in a blizzard"
ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Crusher88

E30: '87 b44
Crusher88 is just really niceCrusher88 is just really niceCrusher88 is just really niceCrusher88 is just really nice

nice write up, test the VC kind of sketches me out but my car went up some very icy hills on all seasons with out even flinching.

I love seeing the original articles about the car
Crusher88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
AlpineEd

E30: 1990 325ix
AlpineEd will become famous soon enough

Very nice! Thank You. I wish my interior looked like that!
AlpineEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
flyboyx

E30: '88 s52 vert becomming m3
flyboyx is on a distinguished road

since this is a sticky, i thought that i would mention that it is prudent to buy a car with a serviceable/rebuildable engine. awd engines are pretty hard to find since the ix engine isn't interchangeable with a standard e30. of course the oil pan is different, but the dipstick is in the wrong position where it is drilled through the block. also the oil pump is completely different as well as the machined pads on the engine where it mounts. seems like it spins the opposite direction.

88 325ic becoming awd alpina b6 3.5s with s52
92 mtech 2 cabrio alpine/schwartz
88 e30 m3 for parts
88 325ix coupe
91 325ix 4 door auto for parts
flyboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
turbo 325ii

E30: Lots of e30's and some muscle
turbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond reputeturbo 325ii has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely Erik! I also love the origional ads.

Add this to the buyers guide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBpDNYPeTQ
Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Official "My wife is awesome" club Member #3
BFCFI Outlaw
turbo 325ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Posaune

E30: '89 325iX and '88 325iX
Posaune is a jewel in the roughPosaune is a jewel in the roughPosaune is a jewel in the rough

General note - in the last year or so, most ix specific parts have shot through the roof - brake master = $1100, stock cat=$1500, one front axle=$1100, steering rack=$1400, front strut housing=$800-900, etc. People are parting cars more and more, but these are (mostly) wear parts, so putting a steering rack or t-case on with 130k miles on it is not buying you much time. If you buy one of these cars, you have to be (in my humble opinion) 1) a patient enthusiast; 2) a decent shadetree mechanic; 3) willing to spend money. This is not a typical E30 and they have a unique ability to make you crazy. They are the coolest of BMWs though. I think still the best AWD BMW ever made.

After this many years, it's almost impossible to find a trustworthy service history. All it takes is one bad (two wheel) tow or mismatched tires during the life of the car to blow the VC. Even if the car has matched tires now, you can't tell if they were always that way.

I agree that rust is a primary issue with these cars, but I'd be more focused on body rust than things like doors and fenders that can be replaced. As long as rust is not under the fenders, it's salvagable. The steel squares at the rear of each wheelwell, in the trunk under the plastic cover by the battery, the gas tank, hard brake lines, floors, exhaust hanger attach points, etc. Don't forget front struts.

No matter what you pay to buy the car, that's just hte down payment on the cost of ownership. In my opinion it's worth it because a well sorted ix is just a blast to drive. My favorite car even over my E38.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
DigzTheBeatz
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 318i
DigzTheBeatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking to buy an e30 ix and this helps a lot. Those original articles are awesome!!
DigzTheBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
danse30m3

E30: 1988 M3
danse30m3 is on a distinguished road
Default Found out the hard way - too good to be true it proabally is

With a mint 91 318is and 88 M3 in the stable I was looking for a winter driver to spare the 318 from the winter. A 90 IX posted on craigs next town over for short money had me there with cash in hand. It didn't llok too bad, usual rust, engine started right up and sounded fine. But because of leaking brake lines it was not drivable. The seller had a trailer and was more than happy to deliver. Home and up on jack stands I now see that the car has too long a road to recovery. The body and undercarriage are not bad at all. But the rust has attacked the brake, fuel lines and my expereince is that once you touch one bad hard line your into them all.
So if buying look carefully at these items because they can render an otherwise perfect driver into a parts car.

Which BTW is what I'll be doing 1990 4 dr IX black interior will be parting out. anything specific needed send me a PM
danse30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Supernaught

E30: 89 325 IX
Supernaught is a jewel in the roughSupernaught is a jewel in the roughSupernaught is a jewel in the rough

http://books.google.com/books?id=AZK...age&q=&f=false

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
Supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
fronton

E30: M3
fronton has a spectacular aura aboutfronton has a spectacular aura aboutfronton has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to fronton
Default '90 IX on Ebay

Know ANYTHING about it? I am thinking it might be a good buy anywhere south of $5,000 (though a few more miles than I am hoping for). Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...m#ht_776wt_959
fronton is offline   Reply With Quote