e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > Auto-X / Track / Drift
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 10-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #51
Giga Shadow

E30: 325i
Giga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Giga Shadow

Hardcore.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #52
ELVA164

E30: 1987 325i sedan
ELVA164 is a jewel in the roughELVA164 is a jewel in the roughELVA164 is a jewel in the roughELVA164 is a jewel in the rough

It's been a while, but I finally have an update of sorts!

I loaded the body and chassis up and brought them to the blaster to have the whole shell, hood, trunk, and doors cleaned up! I'm hoping it'll gain me back some of the weight I've added in fiberglass resin....

I'm picking it up tomorrow and can't wait to see the results!

Elva Courier build thread here!
ELVA164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #53
ELVA164

ELVA164 is a jewel in the roughELVA164 is a jewel in the roughELVA164 is a jewel in the roughELVA164 is a jewel in the rough

I picked up the car today and I'm stoked with the results!

The benefits to soda blasting are twofold: First, the car is now completely clean and ready for finishing bodywork and paint. Second, this will reveal any areas which need further attention like the small perforation at the bottom of the door and the cracks in the nose. I'm excited to finish up the prep work and get the girl to the bodyshop!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #54
ELVA164

Since it'll be a day or two until our body/paint guy can come look at the car, I took a little time to clean up the rear brake backing plates today!

They started out in decent shape, but someone had attacked them with a drill to add a number of "cooling holes."

Sorry about the blur, my blood sugar must've been low.

I cleaned up the holes with a chamfering tool to clean things up and avoid any future injuries!

Then I took the plates into the bead blaster and got them nice and clean:

It was about 70 too cold to paint, so that'll be next! This way everything is ready to install after I rebuild the slave cylinders.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #55
ELVA164

Another update! Looking at the car after the soda blasting, it became clear I would have to sand off all the original primer to know exactly which areas needed attention and to best take care of them. This is how the car looked beforehand:

You can see there are a number of obvious issues. First, the front right fender was obviously cut out and replaced at least once. During that process, a pretty excessive amount of bondo was applied and in some places never even bonded to the car. I'll have to approach this with caution, as I don't want to open Pandora's Box much farther than I already have...

In the meantime, I decided to try out my new Harbor Freight orbital palm sander on the area between the headlights. I think it came out pretty good for my first stab at this type of sanding!

Not only will this provide a cleaner base to work with, it gives a great view of the cracks in the fiberglass resin. For areas like this, I'll be applying a thin fiberglass mat over the whole area to prevent these cracks from resurfacing.

In other news, I've started assembling the rear axle assembly! I stumbled upon a limited slip unit to replace the welded spider gears, which is very exciting:

And I got it attached to the housing for good!

My new wheel studs arrived today, so there's officially nothing but myself keeping me from assembling the hubs, axles, and brakes! It'll be great to have a big piece of the car ready to go!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #56
95BMWic
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 1990 325ix Manual; 1991 325i Auto; 1991 325ic Auto
95BMWic is an unknown quantity at this point

Very Cool!

Lots of pics during the process, please.
95BMWic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #57
ELVA164

I got back from VIR a couple days ago (awesome weekend!) and we leave for Road Atlanta on Monday, but I still found some time to work a bit on the car! I pulled the studs into one of the rear hubs, but I spent most of my time sanding.

I spent a lot of time taking the huge amount of Bondo and primer off the right-front fender:

You can see some of the steps taken to (badly) reinstall the fender. There are some rivet holes:

That white ridge around the seam was much higher than it should have been, and instead of taking the surface down someone just added a ton of filler. Problem solved:

Along the same lines, there was a HUGE chunk of Bondo and fiberglass barely attached under the bumperette. Not anymore!

You can see how much they built the outside edge up to match the nasty fender. I need to decide how I want to tackle this going forward.

I also cleaned up a bit on the headlight shelf, the front of the nose, and the left-front fender:

I'm happy to make some more progress and hope to continue sanding and/or rebuilding the rear axle assembly when I get back from Road Atlanta!