e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Engine > M20
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
bmw-slangen

E30: 323i, 325ik
bmw-slangen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to bmw-slangen
Default Pictures/description of exhaust mounting for a non-kat

Does anyone here have any pictures/descriptions of how the exhaust system is mounted at the gearbox?

I need to collect the parts needed, but I have a hard time to find what exactly is needed.

There is a number of variations, so I'm only interested in the 320i/323i (from 02/1984 and onward and without catalytic converters).

(Now my version is Swedish, so it differ in some areas, but in this specific area it should be roughly the same).

So what pieces are actually used? How does it look like?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0106
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0107
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0108

bmw-slangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
superj
Contributing Member

E30: Finally
superj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud ofsuperj has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to superj

on American cars, we have the huge cat there. so I know I cannot help
needs sub frame bushings
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
Giga Shadow

E30: 325i
Giga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Giga Shadow

That bracket bolted on the bottom of the tranny.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...ustBracket.jpg

Last edited by Giga Shadow : 07-17-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Giga Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
bmw-slangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Shadow View Post
That bracket bolted on the bottom of the tranny.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...ustBracket.jpg
Interesting.

But, what bracket exactly is that? Doesn't resemble anything from the ETK.
What are the BMW spare part numbers used in that setup?

However, this is a one pipe only configuration - so not really applicable since I have a two pipe configuration from factory.

I'm looking for the correct factory setup.

Last edited by bmw-slangen : 07-17-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
euro2fast4u

E30: 1987 325e Turbo has arrived!
euro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond repute

yea thats a custom one. they look like the following.

there are two types. one that bolted around the exhaust system and one that bolted to the exhaust system with a tab.

Tab type below

strap type below

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0108
euro2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
bmw-slangen

Ok!

Yeah, then my model most definitely uses the strap type (the tab type seems to be used only on cat models, my is a non-cat model).

So how exactly is the strap type attached to the gearbox then?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
euro2fast4u

E30: 1987 325e Turbo has arrived!
euro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond repute

Realoem goofed up.

Under each of the following links you will see each part highlighted.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...-323i&mg=18#10

Click on each of the CATALYTIC CONVERTER/FRONT SILENCER

you need at least #12, 22, 16. plus bolts and such.

some reason they broke out all the items into 3 different pages. combine them all and you should be good. However i would enter your last 7 in the vin and do the same thing i picked a car that was close but may not be exact. IE Left hand drive vs right.
euro2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
bmw-slangen

I've gone through ETK very very very thoroughly but a lot doesn't make sense (actually before I post anything I am always doing some heavy research).

Agree ETK is goofed up here.

For example I'm questioning #12 since this is only used for 5-speed sport gearboxes
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_0106

On the other hand, #12 is actually a fairly big kit full of bits and pieces.

But #16 and #22 does make sense.

But I'm questioning if #16 and #22 is enough, that's why I want to see how it actually SHOULD look like. Someone must still use the original mounting - or have you have all customized your exhausts? :-)

Last edited by bmw-slangen : 07-17-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
bmw-slangen

Finally I solved it - I finally got all the ***correct*** pieces after quite a lot of trial and error.

Turns out that ETK is completely wrong in many places. Even BMW was puzzled and couldn't make sense out of the information they had - had long talk with them and they were very helpful. One more complicating thing is the policy here, if you request on your own initiative a spare part that is not located in the Nordic central distribution center, you can not return it. So sometimes it could be quite an expensive gamble...

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind.

ETK is missing several components for the 323i model, one example is detail #12 in the picture above. The correct part is NOT even listed for the 323i model - you can't find it - you have to know what it is. The number given (1 178 294) is NOT the correct one for everyone with the standard gearbox - ask me how I know this :-)

You don't really need to buy the big expensive set 9 057 722 - even though ETK states it's a must - it depends on what country and model you have. For my model it didn't contain the correct clamps - although it contained a hell of a lot of various clamps and stuff but none of them was correct for this specific vehicle (323i makes it special, 01/1985 makes it special, Sweden configuration makes it special).

Keep in mind if your car is built for Sweden/Switzerland as my is - we have some unique parts here. Details #16 and #22 was quite funny - there are three different variants of these depending on the exhaust pipe size and you need to pick the right one to get a proper installation.
Also here ETK was contradicting itself at two places, so you basically had to guess and do trial and error to find out which was the correct one.

ETK is also contradicting itself in one more place about what part should be used, so that throw me off as well.

But after a lot of puzzling I nailed it and got all the correct parts!

Last edited by bmw-slangen : 09-15-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control