e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > Auto-X / Track / Drift
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 01-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

E30: '89 325iS
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default BottleCaps with Yokohama A032R for Auto-x - Thoughts?

I'm thinking about getting a set of caps for auto-x. What do you guys think about getting a set of these tires in 195/60HR14?

My next question...

They give you 3 different tires to choose from in the size I mentioned above:

Heat Cycled
Shaved 4/32nds
S-Compound

Which one of those would be best?

Thanks guys!

DungeonMotorsport
(424) 225-1982 | @dungeonmotorsport
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
E30bimmerdude
Contributing Member

E30: nones..but 99' m3/72' 02 in fam
E30bimmerdude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to E30bimmerdude

i would go with a little wider tire, maybe a 205, i had those on for awhile and they had great traction, too bad they were 50000mile tires and i wore them out in about 20000 i had fun doin it though just my 2 cents...
E30bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30bimmerdude
i would go with a little wider tire, maybe a 205.
They only make up to 195 in the 14".

DungeonMotorsport
Old 01-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
randywalters

E30: 89 325is
randywalters
Default Re: BottleCaps with Yokohama A032R for Auto-x - Thoughts?

The Yokohamas are not a good autocross tire, and 14" Bottlecaps are not a good autocross size. There are larger, wider, grippier, faster autocross tires you can get that'll make you a lot quicker than Yokos on Bottlecaps, and it depends on a lot of things like what organization you'll be running with, what class your car will be in, and if you want to buy better wheels to go with your better tires.
BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
SCCA L.A. Region 2004 STX Champ
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
BlackE30
Contributing Member

E30: Black 332is
BlackE30 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BlackE30

I have 15x7 eurbobaskets that are still for sale. Let me know if your interested.
Jeff
BlackE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
iflytii
Super Moderator

E30: 87 325"e"s
iflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond reputeiflytii has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Randy, folks around here don't have much good to say about those yoko's for auto-x... If your set on going the bottlecap route, I still have 4 with fresh powder coat and 2 have Kumho's mounted with only 1 autox day on them... Just incase your in the market... If not, ignore everything except the first sentence...

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr...?p=53612#53612
Old 01-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Teaguer
Contributing Member

E30: Whats that ??
Teaguer is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ ^^

True , those Yoko's might not be the best choice .
Plus those 225/50 street tires would give you more grip than the Yokos in a 195/60 .
on the bottlecaps you'd want to run at least a 205/60 but you would be doping yourself a huge favor by using a set of 15's for auto-x .
Teaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
alex

E30: 325
alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BottleCaps with Yokohama A032R for Auto-x - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
They give you 3 different tires to choose from in the size I mentioned above:

Heat Cycled
Shaved 4/32nds
S-Compound

Which one of those would be best?

Thanks guys!

Tire choice is all about how competitive you want to be and how much money you want to spend.

Regardless of tire brand or size heat cycling will make your wallet lighter immediately, but provide longer life to tires because they will be harder and consequently quite possibly slower. Shaving supposedly makes the tire last longer by eliminating some of the thread squirm that is present with full thread tire. Likewise on the wallet/tire life/performance relationship.

There are H- and S- compounds for this Yoko. "S" is for "Soft" and "H" is (you guessed it) for "H" hard compounds. For autocross "S" will be better due to increased traction on lighter cars according to Yokohama.

Nice thing about these Yokos is that their contigency program, AFAIK covers more events than Hoosier or Kumho.

If you want the best tire for autocross you'll have to choose between Kumho Ecsta V710 or Hoosier A3SO4 based on last year results. Some people were convinced that Kumho was actually faster than Hoosier after they came out with updated design.

As far as size Randy is correct that 195 would be rather narrow. 225 would be more appropriate. If you aren't going to lower your car by much or run on really bumpy lots you can get away with 225s on 15x8 rims. Worst case you'll have to roll the inside lips a little.
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
Chris
Administrator

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I'm really liking those Hoosier A3SO4s.

What do you think is the widest tire that you could get away with on IE stage 3 race springs and a fender roll? (think ideal offset)

DungeonMotorsport
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #10
randywalters

E30: 89 325is
randywalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm really liking those Hoosier A3SO4s.
The fastest autocross tire isn't necessarily the best autocross tire

If you're going to be casually autocrossing mostly for fun the Falken Azenis is a sturdy and surprisingly fast autocross tire. It's cheap and lasts longer than any other popular autocross tire.

But it really boils down to which organization you're going to be autocrossing with (BMW CCA or SCCA) and exactly which class your car will be in. Whatever class you run in, there will be at least one good tire choice and you should go with that. I've run Hoosiers and Victoracers, but the most fun tire is the Falken Azenis even though it's not nearly as fast as the R-compounds. I bumped down from DSP to STX just so i could run this tire and i'm having a blast on em. Plus i can leave the tires on all year instead of changing from streets to race tires every weekend.

So will this be with BMW CCA or SCCA? And if it's both, which one do you want to be the most compeitive in?

And what class will the car be in? Stock, STX, or Street Prepared etc?

BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
SCCA L.A. Region 2004 STX Champ
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote