e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Appearance > Bodywork
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
inferno363

E30: '88 325is
inferno363 will become famous soon enough
Default Rust Repair

I haven't been real active on the forums the past couple years as my e30 has had a number of issues that while working through college I didn't have the time or money to deal with. So it sat in my parents pole building collecting dust until this fall when I got settled in my "grown-up job" and decided to give it some much needed attention.

This all started with a rusted out fuel line and as I took the old line off I noticed the floor boards were in pretty rough shape. So under the knife she goes.

I gutted most of the interior and cut the carpet out. (For those of you who haven't removed the carpet in your e30 it's the first thing they put in the car so you either pull entire dash out or cut the carpet in a few places. I chose to cut mine)

So I've been working at it a few weeks now and this is where I'm at :

The passenger side is in about the same shape. It looks like water was comming in through a hole in the engine compartment up by the fuse box then sitting in on the floorboards under the carpet.

While doing all this I found a big bondo patch in the drivers fender from the PO....

So I'm gonna take that to work and use it as an excuse to practice TIG welding.

It's a lot of work but it is fixable. It's just gonna take some time. Unfortunatly I moved about 30 miles from my parents and I don't have a garage at my place so I only get to work on it once or twice a week.

Anyway I'll keep this updated with my progress and any lessons I learn along the way.

My winter project
inferno363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
derrty 30

E30: 1987 325e-built turbo m50, 1984 euro 323i-daily
derrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond reputederrty 30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to derrty 30

i love tig welding, i hate rust repair. looks like something i wouldnt want to do. have fun and good luck

my build thread.
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87351
derrty 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
CHIF8008

E30: (86)327es
CHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud ofCHIF8008 has much to be proud of

new fender maybe?
Got Drop??
CHIF8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
winchester

E30: BMW E30
winchester will become famous soon enough

Looking at this, I almost miss welding rust on my car

winchester's sepang bronze E30

winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
inferno363

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIF8008 View Post
new fender maybe?
I think I wanna take a crack at forming up a new lower half and welding it on. If it doesn't come out all that well then yeah I'll just get a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester
Looking at this, I almost miss welding rust on my car
Almost is the key word there. You really don't miss it, trust me.

My winter project
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
winchester

E30: BMW E30
winchester will become famous soon enough

Haha, perhaps I'm mistaken. But I do love doing major things to the car, which shows progress instantly, and that is welding rust!

winchester's sepang bronze E30

winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
omniscient

E30: 1989 IS
omniscient has a spectacular aura aboutomniscient has a spectacular aura aboutomniscient has a spectacular aura about

I replaced both the passenger and driver side floor pans earlier this year as well as part of the firewall on both sides. It sucked at first because I've never done body work before but it ended up not being too bad especially since the floors are hidden by carpet then covered with seam sealer and undercoating. I tried to emulate a thread on here where the guy made exact replicas of the floor panels from scratch.. he had a lot more patience than I did. I couldn't see myself doing an exterior panel where perfection is critical.

CT cartooner. Click this ^
omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
inferno363

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester View Post
Haha, perhaps I'm mistaken. But I do love doing major things to the car, which shows progress instantly, and that is welding rust!
I know you mean. This kind of work does give you instant gratification and I always feel good about my progress at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniscient View Post
I replaced both the passenger and driver side floor pans earlier this year as well as part of the firewall on both sides. It sucked at first because I've never done body work before but it ended up not being too bad especially since the floors are hidden by carpet then covered with seam sealer and undercoating. I tried to emulate a thread on here where the guy made exact replicas of the floor panels from scratch.. he had a lot more patience than I did. I couldn't see myself doing an exterior panel where perfection is critical.
It's nice to be able to practice some of the body work in places you can't see that way you've got some experience under your belt before you go to do it some place visible. I did some patches in the rear wheel wells about 5 years ago or so and learned a lot. When I went to do the rear valance afterward, it came out a lot better than it would have had I just jumped in.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find that thread. I'd like to see how he went about it as there are places that I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to handle yet.

My winter project
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
bimmer 325

E30: 325i 87 325e 86
bimmer 325 is on a distinguished road

look like a big job, good luck with it,and let us know how it goes!
bimmer 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
hi its me alec

E30: M50 325e & e46 328
hi its me alec has a spectacular aura abouthi its me alec has a spectacular aura about

Looks very much like my rustbucket, including the seam in the inner wheel house area. It made me really sad to see that on my car.

Do you have any pics of your frame rails?

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote