e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Engine > M42 | M40
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
cong405
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 91' 318is
cong405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Check Engine" light keeps flashing!

Hey guys!

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and is ready for the new year.

Alright, now lets get down to business. I have a problem with my 91 318is but I'm not really sure how to diagnose the car. The problem with the car is that the "check engine" light keeps flashing. It flashes every now and then when I'm driving slow, but it would blink constantly when I'm on the highway accelerating. Also, when I was driving in traffic on the highway earlier, I noticed that my car started to jerk when I would step on the gas. It felt like a jerk when you down shift at a high speed. As when I picked up speed, the car started to jerk more and this time it was pretty constant. On top of that, when I came to a complete stop, the rpm would jump up and down and then the car would either struggle to stay alive or just die.

I pulled over I did the stomp test and the code 1444 came up. I looked up the code # and there's seems to be nothing wrong with the car. I'm not sure what other test I can perform to find out what's the problem.

I'm thinking that it might be miss firing but I'm not really sure and where to start looking.

If anyone can suggest any other test, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks you.

***UPDATE***
I just performed the stomp test again and I got the code# 1288. I tried looking it up and there seems to be no such code. Any ideas?

Last edited by cong405 : 12-29-2010 at 03:02 PM.
cong405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
///digitalme

E30: 91 318is
///digitalme is an unknown quantity at this point

o2 sensor, and air leaks...
///digitalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Eviil30
masshole

E30: 88' 325is, 91 318i
Eviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to behold

what kind of mechanical shape is the car in? sounds like misfiring under acceleration, how are your wear and tear items?
Eviil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
cong405
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 91' 318is
cong405 is an unknown quantity at this point

The car have been running great before this problem started even though I had to change the water pump not too long ago. But I must say, after changing the water pump, the car sounded more like a diesel truck and there's also a slight clicking sound on a cold start but goes away after the engine warms up.

I recently changed the water pump and fan clutch on the car a few months back. All the gaskets on the motor have been changed at the beginning of this year. Oil change every 3000miles. As for the spark plugs and coil, I really don't know when that was last changed.
cong405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Eviil30
masshole

E30: 88' 325is, 91 318i
Eviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to beholdEviil30 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cong405 View Post
The car have been running great before this problem started even though I had to change the water pump not too long ago. But I must say, after changing the water pump, the car sounded more like a diesel truck and there's also a slight clicking sound on a cold start but goes away after the engine warms up.

I recently changed the water pump and fan clutch on the car a few months back. All the gaskets on the motor have been changed at the beginning of this year. Oil change every 3000miles. As for the spark plugs and coil, I really don't know when that was last changed.
Yeah, I think cap rotor plugs wires possibly, fuel filter are in order, I would start there.
Eviil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
glucklich21

E30: 91' S50 Vert, 91' M50 4 Door
glucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant futureglucklich21 has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to glucklich21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviil30 View Post
Yeah, I think cap rotor plugs wires possibly, fuel filter are in order, I would start there.
M42s don't have a rotor.

This sounds like my E30 after I finished redoing my interior. I had been listening to the radio for days without starting the car. Needless to say my battery was quite dead. Till my battery was full again it had no power, mis firing, and throwing a check engine light till its battery was completely charged. Once it was full, it acted like nothing happened.

So check your voltage when the car is running. I believe the right voltage is 13.5 when running.