e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > Project Garage
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
morerevsm3

E30: Australian spec E30 race car
morerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to behold
Default 325E to low budget spec E30 325i build

bought a 325E from ebay for cheap with M tech 1 kit an zender wheels a couple of years ago to convert to Australian version of spec E30, and on a very small budget.
here is the car when I bought it home-

fitted R comp tyres, and entered a regularity event, had a ruptured achillies in left foot which had been sewn up 4 weeks prior, so had to have special boot etc, still lucky enough to win the event (I actually ruptured it pushing the E30 when it broke down just after I bought it)

then after a little while, I bought a wrecked E34 525i to get the engine, and the real fun started.
US spec E30 springs and camber plates were purchased and fitted, and IE bars, and cage done

before

after

then I fitted the 2.5, and gave the car a bogy drivewaqy paint job

morerevsm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
morerevsm3

morerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to behold

and early 2010 saw me get the car ready to be log booked for racing, and upgrade my license from speed events to door to door race license.
handling wasn't too bad, considering rear shocks were ones in the car when I bough it, and fronts were S/H commodore shocks that didn't really suit spring rates. had a few problems first couple of rounds with a false rev limiter, it just stopped at 4500rpm, even though had full 325i engine loom and 173 ECU, and some water leaks etc, but ended up with a 5th place for first meeting so was pretty happy (aided no end by 2 of the 4 races being very wet, so lack of power from 4500rpm was not as evident)next couple of meetings I was throwing parts at it trying to fix the miss, TPS, AFM, plugs, leads cap, all to no avail, tried different ecu, still no good, also kept overheating as well, our rules allow head porting, so, I bought a S/H head, and sent it off for reco and port job

when I removed the old head, the gasket had blown, I was sure it must have been cracked, but appears not

by this time, I was up to the second last round of our series, I had also fitted some S/H Koni single adjustable rear shocks so was keen to see how the new head and new shocks performed

car went really well, was the fastest of the low compression cars (8.8:1, our rules allow the pre cat 9.7:1 pistons to be used, we are also allowed coilovers etc, which I still don't have) the 2 high compression cars were just over 2 seconds/lap quicker!!! was having a great meeting, but got taken out in last race, and retired with a bent tie rod end.

last round was back at the same circuit as first round, forecast was for rain all weekend, and a good field nominated, only diffence in car from last round to this was I now have koni single adjustable front shocks as well, and new custom cold air feed, well, the weather turned out to be perfect all weekend, and, due to the 3 high comp cars that were there encountering niggling problems with their cars, I ended up with a race win, and a round win
Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
morerevsm3

now, it is March before round 1 this year, so time to make some more improvements

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
billy31

E30: 92 318IC, 86 325E, 91 325I
billy31 is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet ride man, i'd love to race my E30, but it's my DD and by no means a race car. keep it up!
billy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
inkk
Super Moderator

E30: A black one...
inkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's really cool. I'm sure I read your thread on Eurocca a while back. Where do you race at?

Oh ya, what pistons are they?

I do Alpines
inkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
morerevsm3

race at all the vic state race rounds, so Winton, Phillip Island, Sandown, Calder when it runs, and one away round per year, can be Baskerville (Tas) Wakefield(NSW) or Malalla(SA)
pistons are OEM 9.7:1 Mahle, used on european pre cat models
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Pete_E30
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 325e
Pete_E30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they need a BMW series in NSW - that looks like fun
Pete_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
nomade30

E30: 91 AW Coupe
nomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond reputenomade30 has a reputation beyond repute

Those studs and nuts look familiar! Keep the photos coming!
It's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for a sex machine.
nomade30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
morerevsm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_E30 View Post
I think they need a BMW series in NSW - that looks like fun
there is 4 cars being built in ACT to our specs now, if enough get built, it will happen
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control