e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Electronics & Lighting
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
86Zinno
Four door biased

E30: 1989 325i 4dr
86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of
Default New alternator, insufficient output

Been having some trouble with my charging system, completely out of the blue.

My battery, alternator and starter are less than a year old. Duralast battery, remanufactured bosch starter and alternator.

With car jump started and idling, nothing on, I get ~12.2 across the battery terminals, clearly not enough. This is why my car was not starting, even after long drives after getting jump started. Engine speed does not change the output. Car will run alright after getting jump started as long as I don't put on too many accessories. If I do (say, rear defrost, blower 3, radar, radio, and high beams) too soon after getting jumped the antil-lock light on the dash will start turning on and off regularly as I begin to lose power (radio is the first to shut down/restart). This happened a mile from my house as I was driving and I was afraid the car was going to die while in motion it was so severe.

Engine ground, alt ground, and all other wires are all tight and solid. Battery terminals tight. No trouble starting as long as I get a jump or pop start. A little more deflection in the alternator belt than I'd like, but I can't turn the alternator fan by hand and it's by no means loose. Alternator has about 1/4"-1/2" of front to back movement. Related?

Why is my <1yr old starter only putting out 12.2v? Why is my anti-lock light turning on and off in relation to my car's electrical health? Should I simply request an RMA on my alternator and call it a day?
The entire neighborhood came out, at least 20 people, they asked if I was ok. I yelled back I think the dumbest thing I ever said, " I'M OK, THE BMW IS DEAD, CALL GERMANY" Why I said something like that, I'll never know.
86Zinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
86Zinno
Four door biased

86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of86Zinno has much to be proud of

Bump
The entire neighborhood came out, at least 20 people, they asked if I was ok. I yelled back I think the dumbest thing I ever said, " I'M OK, THE BMW IS DEAD, CALL GERMANY" Why I said something like that, I'll never know.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
nrubenstein

E30: '89 330is, '88 325iX, '89 M3
nrubenstein is a jewel in the roughnrubenstein is a jewel in the roughnrubenstein is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to nrubenstein

ABS requires enough power to run. If you're down, it gets cranky. Obviously, you have a crappy reman that needs replacement. Do it.
1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan GC/Bilstein
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black S50B30, S6S420G, 3.46, GC/Koni, BBS RX
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32, S6S420G, 4.10

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
Hers: 1988 325iX Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Massive Lee
Thank you very much

E30: H23 und M3
Massive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Either the alternator is bad, or the voltage regulator is defective. Also, your chargingsystem needs a functional dash charging light. If the light is not functional, you won't get charging.

www.massivebrakes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKXXKXe30 View Post
I like titties. I look at mine all the time.

Last edited by Massive Lee : 10-30-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Massive Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
NoScoE30
Contributing Member

E30: 130 cubic inches of fury in a late model
NoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the cluster has a resistor to get the field working even if the light is burned out.

You heard it here first folks.
Beware, for I may have an extreme level of sarcasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKXXKXe30
Mitch nosco is a hottie with nice man hands
NoScoE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
ahlem

E30: 1987 325is 1989 325isa 1990 m3 1990 535im 1976 2002 1991 318is
ahlem has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What reading do you get if you run a jumper cable from your alternator to a good ground then take the reading?
ahlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
86Zinno
Four door biased

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlem View Post
What reading do you get if you run a jumper cable from your alternator to a good ground then take the reading?
I'll try to do this tomorrow after work, just starting a new job is really making this a bitch to get around to troubleshooting/fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
Either the alternator is bad, or the voltage regulator is defective. Also, your chargingsystem needs a functional dash charging light. If the light is not functional, you won't get charging.
The dash light does work, made sure to check that. I'm guessing it's the alternator anyway, but doesn't a bad voltage reg usually show in that the alternator puts out too much power? Plus unless they forgot to change it outright, it should be brand new with a reman alternator meaning the brushes are fine. Maybe it suddenly shit the bed for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
ABS requires enough power to run. If you're down, it gets cranky. Obviously, you have a crappy reman that needs replacement. Do it.
Ah, that makes sense, thank you! I plan to call BavAuto tomorrow and RMA the alternator. Wouldn't have expected a defect like this to happen with a bosch, is it typical for some reman units to just be shitty? It makes me nervous that this might happen to my next one as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Massive Lee
Thank you very much

E30: H23 und M3
Massive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMassive Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Bosch remanufactured alternators are in fact brand new units. They are called "remanufactured" so that they get a tax exempt for recycling, thanks to the German green party. I suggest you check voltage right out of the alternator at the red wire.

www.massivebrakes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKXXKXe30 View Post
I like titties. I look at mine all the time.
Massive Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
winfred
Contributing Member

E30: 91 328is m20b28 with a hair drier and some other goodies
winfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant futurewinfred has a brilliant future

we got 3 bad bosch reman's in a row for the same e30 a few months ago, turns out they had a bad run, they would barely charge to not at all depending on which one and a new regulator didn't cure it. we would of lost our ass on that job if we weren't a bosch distributor, they reimburse the labor and other losses for defects when the returned parts are verified dead
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
winfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
86Zinno
Four door biased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
Bosch remanufactured alternators are in fact brand new units. They are called "remanufactured" so that they get a tax exempt for recycling, thanks to the German green party. I suggest you check voltage right out of the alternator at the red wire.
Cool to know, thanks! I'll check it out when I'm replacing it for shits and gigs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winfred View Post
we got 3 bad bosch reman's in a row for the same e30 a few months ago, turns out they had a bad run, they would barely charge to not at all depending on which one and a new regulator didn't cure it. we would of lost our ass on that job if we weren't a bosch distributor, they reimburse the labor and other losses for defects when the returned parts are verified dead
About how long ago did this happen, if you remember? Just looked in my records and I had ordered this one that now appears to be faulty in April of last year. Hopefully it was part of the bad batch and after 7 months their supplies (and BavAuto's) have cleared out the defective units. Really cool that Bosch comps you like that, reasserts my belief in them being a solid company.