e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Electronics & Lighting
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
DmcL

E30: 1989 Bronzit 325i SE
DmcL is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition switched 12v source or permanent source?

do we think tapping this little gizmo into a permanent 12v source would be an issue? worried that if i tap into a permanent 12v supply it may help to drain the battery if the car sits for a while as it will be reading out voltage even when the ignitions off..

its for one of these:

the capacitors in the unit are supposed to help smooth out sharp electrical drains but tbh i only bought it for the voltage display.

-
My Project 325i

- EthosMotorsports.com
DmcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
DmcL

meh.. doesnt matter now. found a wee switch i bought ages ago so popped that in the centre console and ill wire the Vcapa and power to any gauges to the switch and take the 12v source for the switch from the lighter socket wiring so i can turn it on/off whenever i want regardless of if the ignitions on or not.

ill post up a few pics of the console once i finish it.

-
My Project 325i

- EthosMotorsports.com
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
DmcL

would have made the wiring under the console a bit more tidy but i just used random scraps i had laying around. idea is i now basically have a positive and negative permanent 12v block under the console that i can connect gauges or anything else to. left myself a 12v wire with dual push in fittings under the console for powering gauges in future. ditched the old console and fitted this one today so no gauges in the car at the minute bar the Vcapa's voltage readout. going to install an in line fuel pressure gauge in place of the old in car gauges sender which will mean 1 less gauge to put inside the car.

-
My Project 325i

- EthosMotorsports.com
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
NoScoE30
Contributing Member

E30: 130 cubic inches of fury in a late model
NoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond reputeNoScoE30 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not gunna lie dude, that looks ridiculous. A 1600 micro farad capacitor bank isnt going to do anything in a car.

Your wiring setup is a recipe for a foam fire. What happens if the connections get loose/overloaded and start heating up...which melts the foam...increasing in temperature until the foam ignites. Not good.

For future reference, there is an auxiliary fuse block up by the main fuse panel that has a convenient switched +12 volt and a constant +12 volt source

You heard it here first folks.
Beware, for I may have an extreme level of sarcasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKXXKXe30
Mitch nosco is a hottie with nice man hands
NoScoE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
dogdipstick

E30: 325
dogdipstick is a glorious beacon of lightdogdipstick is a glorious beacon of lightdogdipstick is a glorious beacon of lightdogdipstick is a glorious beacon of lightdogdipstick is a glorious beacon of lightdogdipstick is a glorious beacon of light

Just go to the pawn shop and get a 1farad stereo Cap with a digital readout if you want a noise absorbing cappacitance filter. They have readouts, and work to smooth digital signals, high currents, and Analog circuits. 12v also on the relays, switched.
(Here Also... )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5POBZjVoFs
dogdipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
DmcL

our closest thing to a pawn shop wouldnt buy or sell stuff like that. id have to buy one on ebay or something and it would be too big to have in the car. i may install a large cap near the battery but i want the voltage display in the car which is why i bought the little Vcapa. i know 1650uf isnt going to do much if anything but like i said i bought it for the voltage display and because it was small and cheap.. cheaper than a 2 inch/52mm in car volt meter.

i will also be tidying up the wiring under the console when the car comes off the road to start the turbo build but for now i just wanted something to do.. broke up with my GF of about 4 and a half years so need to keep myself busy at the minute so my whole thought process doesnt turn to shit. spare time is my enemy right now.. im even braving the rain, dark and cold temps to go work on the car after i get home from work just for something to do.

-
My Project 325i

- EthosMotorsports.com
Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
chris325ix
Contributing Member

E30: '91 325ix
chris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond repute

BMW built a switched/constant, fused +12v aux panel as mitch suggested.

talk abou reinventing the wheel

I like the sticker though.. lol
chris325ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
mvrk10256
24V thumping underhood

E30: 325i coupe.
mvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud of

I also used that location for several power hookups. You could run it inside the car through the main harness port on the firewall. Or use the stuff from the radio - it has both switched and otherwise.

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
For anything Else go with BluntTech!
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
DmcL

@ chris, but is that not in the engine bay? i want something handy inside the car. also FWIW the fuse i put in there between the switch and the crappy "blocks" i made is only a little 3 amp job. if anything happened im pretty sure that fuse would pop and avoid any major problems.

but like i said ill be re-doing it in the near future. might even mount some sort of quick connection thru the sonsole on the side that i can plug things into, need to figure out all the stuff i might want to run in the car, tuning equipment, gauges, etc.

-
My Project 325i

- EthosMotorsports.com
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
mvrk10256
24V thumping underhood

E30: 325i coupe.
mvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud of

Like i said you can also pull what you need from the radio connections. They have a switched and non switched, also you could gotto the source at the ignition.

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
For anything Else go with BluntTech!
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote