e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > Project Garage
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

E30: Got a few of them
Forced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud of
Default Meet "Pinky" - 24v turbo content

(cliff-notes after pics)

A good friend of mine passed away about a year and a half ago. About 6 months later his widow called me and was upset she couldn't afford her car payments on a single income and had to turn her car in for voluntary repossession. I knew a local trying to sell his e30 for $1000, the alternator was dead and he was tired of it. I really didn't really like it (you will see why in pics lol), but had given him a quote on repairing it and fabricating coil overs for it, knew it was a fairly solid car mechanically.

She went to look at it and settled on $800, I gave her a spare alternator, she brought over a fresh battery and the car was running in within minutes. Later that night she brought it to my shop so we could put it on the lift and get a good look underneath. I had taken it for a test drive and it was bouncing all over the place, jerking etc.

Upon a closer look, the Guibo was wadded up rags, there was a broken motor mount, one axle was sloppy, the other had a ripped boot and a rear wheel had a loose bearing.

Gave her a used Guibo and motor mount for a parts car we had at the time and she went to Advanced and got a new axle and repaired the ripped boot.

She has been driving the car since, visiting the JY with her boyfriend (happens to be a long time friend of her late husband that recently moved back to FL) and got the car sorted. All the proper hoses are back in, they found a nice radiator, new intake boot etc after several trips, also replaced the bearing and all the little tidbits it needed.

She called last week and told me she wanted something newer and automatic since her new job required nice dress and she had to take heels off for the clutch lol. She told me she had a $4000 budget and started searching for a car. Ended up getting a 99 328is, auto, nice interior, recent service records (138k miles) with m3 rear bumper and skirts. The guy was asking $3k for it, they settled on $2750! So not only did she get a nice car that she likes, but it was way under budget.

We threw the new car on the lift and gave it a good look over, everything is in order and told her we should rebuild the VANOS, but it looked solid, drove solid, no weird noises etc - also noticed the e46 rime lol.

Then she told me she didn't really want to sell Pinky and knows the passion for e30's in my shop, SO SHE HANDS ME THE KEYS AND TITLE!!!!! I told her I would rebuild the VANOS for free using the Basyan Systems Teflon/Viton/anti-rattle. So I got an e30 sedan for $60

Now on to pics...

Cliff-notes: Got an e30 sedan for $60.
http://WOT-TECH.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/WOT-Tech/356741317707642
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris325ix View Post
all your tuning is about "feelings"...

Last edited by Forced_Firebird : 03-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Forced_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
colin86325
Contributing Member

E30: 1989 M3, 1991 318iS
colin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond reputecolin86325 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a really cool story. What comes around, goes around!

“Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it, as far as I'm concerned--I support your right to
enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture, or necrodestination.”
-- Frank Zappa
colin86325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Gruelius

E30: '84 323i 5spd
Gruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond reputeGruelius has a reputation beyond repute

good car for the daughter?
Gruelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
e30 gangsta

E30: 325i
e30 gangsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30 gangsta

damn thats awesome! if you decided to sell that interior let me know!
e30 gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
samiam3356
Contributing Member

samiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond repute

Give you 50 for it
samiam3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

Forced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud ofForced_Firebird has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin86325 View Post
That's a really cool story. What comes around, goes around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruelius View Post
good car for the daughter?
Not sure yet. Going to swap the projector lights and map-light rear view into my car, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30 gangsta View Post
damn thats awesome! if you decided to sell that interior let me know!
Would trade for black in the same condition, don't know about selling anything off of it yet. The car is very solid, just needs refining and a paint job. Would like to meet the person that sprayed pink pearl over the Brilliantrot so they can get a swift kick in the posterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam3356 View Post
Give you 50 for it
Lol.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
samiam3356
Contributing Member

samiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond reputesamiam3356 has a reputation beyond repute

samiam3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
inkk
Super Moderator

E30: A black one...
inkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond reputeinkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice score John. Good things happen to good people. Pink?! Wack some workshop stickers on it and use it as a runabout. It'll definately stand out in the traffic. And for 60 bux? Can't even get blown for that much these days. Nice score.

I do Alpines
inkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

Well, was discussing the car with my bushiness partner last night over a beer (or ten) and he mentioned "Just use whatever we have at the shop to sort it and sell it."

Then the wheels started turning. We have a spare m50 with harness and all the swap part except oil pan, plenty of turbos, piping, coil-over springs/perches clutches etc and my good friend has access to a spray booth. The jambs were never re-sprayed so it can go back to red easily (it's Zinno red, not Brillianrot as I thought). Just need some rims!

Let's see where this takes us. I will even give her some of the proceeds when the car sells (if that's even decided), it will be a good show piece for the shop for sure
Quote:

Last edited by Forced_Firebird : 01-09-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Forced_Firebird
WOT-Tech

Made a trip to the yard today, they had one e30 and one e34, so got the oil pan and pick up tube, but the e30 was a vert so we could only get a hood. Pinky's hood has positive dimples maybe from tools being left on the intake manifold and has a dented up passenger fender as you can see in the pics.

Just need to bug Silence for a set of motor mounts or grab some 535i mounts and a booster and all the parts will be ready for the swap Already have a new s50 clutch/PP and have made several trans mounts for the Getrag, so that's a non-issue.

Same guy who painted my car is already chomping at the bit to get started on the body work/paint, but I told him we will wait to get the fender and new motor in so we don't scratch the new paint etc.

EDIT: Oh yeah, emptying the truck, was reminded of the 4 corner markers we found in great shape
Quote:

Last edited by Forced_Firebird : 01-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.