e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > Project Garage
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
morerevsm3

E30: Australian spec E30 race car
morerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to behold
Default high HP NA M20 build

will leave these pics here for a couple of weeks, then will update with more info

Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
240trooper

E30: 87 325i vert
240trooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Would love more info in build or dreams

87 325i vert
B&G/RD spring combo , custom spintech exhaust,BBS RD037 et18 , FX-R retro bi-xenon.
Soon boosted
240trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Stück

E30: '91 332iS
Stück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond repute

Shame to see you're doing this with a AMC head, those castings are awful compared to the OE head. Given the way its made I doubt a fully ported one would outflow an OE head...
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
DMS
Contributing Member

E30: M-tech 1, S50B30 euro
DMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant futureDMS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Shame to see you're doing this with a AMC head, those castings are awful compared to the OE head. Given the way its made I doubt a fully ported one would outflow an OE head...
Hey Stück, I've always learned a lot from your posts. So I'm interested about your statement here. Can you point out some points where the AMC head are less then the OE head?
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Stück

Stück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond reputeStück has a reputation beyond repute

Port shape, size, finishing, valve guides, flycut chambers, everything is just off, and in a bad way, vs the OE. If you take an example of each on a bench side by size and just look at them... the AMC is pitiful. Its an aftermarket head that costs 1/3 the price of a OE so I suppose its to be expected. They may be suitable for service shop use, but not as a core component in a high output build IMO.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
morerevsm3

E30: Australian spec E30 race car
morerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to beholdmorerevsm3 is a splendid one to behold

it outflows the ported OE head next to it, they have a little more meat in some critical areas, the chambers are reshaped and bowls and seats are nothing like they came from the factory etc, has 2mm oversize valves now, all the things that make them less than ideal for direct replacement, don't matter at all at this level of mods, and they are less likely to crack down the cam tunnel
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
digger

E30: 325is M20B31 220whp/217wtq dyno dynamics shootout
digger is a jewel in the roughdigger is a jewel in the roughdigger is a jewel in the rough

what size exhaust valve? what cam LSA and duration? has the port been raised at all or epoxy used to fill in any areas?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Stück

Quote:
Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
it outflows the ported OE head next to it, they have a little more meat in some critical areas, the chambers are reshaped and bowls and seats are nothing like they came from the factory etc, has 2mm oversize valves now, all the things that make them less than ideal for direct replacement, don't matter at all at this level of mods, and they are less likely to crack down the cam tunnel
I have to cast doubt there, and again.. speaking from personal experience. The exhaust ports on the AMC head are its biggest downfall IMO, and yours even post porting are still if only the size of a stock OE head.

I have personal experience porting 885 heads, and getting big power out of a M20. The head I built for the last M20 I'll ever build (waste of time IMO) picked up 22hp/tq with stock size valves, pushing the engine to 235hp/240tq. @ 2.8L. Very high specific output for a m20.

Anyways, really I guess the real question here is why on earth you centered a build around a poor head casting rather than using a OE one that you can build to a higher level?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
lesliee30

E30: 1988 is
lesliee30 will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised nobody has said a word about his head gasket choice.
lesliee30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
digger

E30: 325is M20B31 220whp/217wtq dyno dynamics shootout
digger is a jewel in the roughdigger is a jewel in the roughdigger is a jewel in the rough

why all the hate?