e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > Project Garage
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
Q5Quint

E30: 89 325is
Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Q5Quint
Default Painted Bottle Caps

Are your bottlecaps sad and ugly? Like this one?

Don't want to spend the money on a new set of rims? Want your winter/track/fugly wheels to look half-way decent? For cheap?

I have seen some do it before, but here is how it went down this time.

1 can of duplicolor black (maybe 1 extra just in case)
1 can of duplicolor chrome
1 can of duplicolor clear coat

1. Clean wheels really really good. I used 'purple power' cleaner to get most brake dust off and then some gasoline to get some more grease off. Use some fine sandpaper to scuff the wheel up a bit and sand out any slight imperfections. After sanding CLEAN AGAIN.

2. Mask off the wheel~ An old piece of wall paper worked perfect. Posterboard or newspaper would work too. Just put a square of it over the wheel, press down on the edges of the wheel to make a impression of where to cut, and cut out a circle about half a inch bigger than the impression. Lay the paper over the wheel and tape everything down. Dont forget to tape the valve stem! Now if you want the lip to be a different color, you will have to figure out how to mask off the inside of the wheel. We happend to use a flower pot and it worked good, but not as perfect as it would have been if we taped everything off super nice.

3. Spray away. Keep the can a few inches away and keep it moving so as to not make anything run. This is harder to do outside in the wind, so pick a non-windy day or do it in a well ventilated garage. Spray the center section most since you will be painting over the lip anyway (if you want).

4. Wait a few minutes for the center to dry and carefully plop your pot down over the center of the bottle cap. Spray the chrome around the edges and make sure to get down in there as good as you can. Wait long enough so the paint that is on the pot is dry, so you dont get chrome fingers, but not so long the pot gets stuck to the wheel to pull it off. You could wait a few days and tape off the center all nice and perfect if you want to be anal about it... but they are bottle caps for goodness sake.

5. Our clear coat had a nasty habit of dripping from the spray button, so we turned the wheels back vertical to clear them. The clear actually dulled down the shine a bit, and made the chrome much less chrome-shiny. If you want 'bling' wheels you might be better off not clear coating them and just repainting them every so often. With 2 coats of clear on the chrome it looks more like aluminum... or a slightly more shiny stock bottlecap color.

6. Chrome lugs and shiny centercaps are a must... or handy if you have them laying around. I think they are a bit expensive otherwise.

Notice the bubble from the clear... will be wetsanded out eventually. Thats when we figured out we should turn the wheel vertical~ the other wheels dont have any spots. Right now the '10-foot' rule applies to my car/wheels, where if it looks good from 10 feet away then it is damn good enough.

I would also like to thank my dear old dad, for making me try the bottlecaps on the ix even though I didnt think they would fit, for convincing me a flower pot was an excellent paint masking device, and for donating 3 cans of paint and chrome lug nuts to my e30 cause. Thanks dad!

(edit: Dad sold the wheels when had the winter steelies back on~ thanks dad! If anyone has a set of caps let me know for v2 of this)

Check out my Turbo recipe!
Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!

Last edited by Q5Quint : 03-28-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Photo link update
Q5Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 03-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
amaank
Contributing Member

E30: 240SX
amaank will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to amaank Send a message via MSN to amaank Send a message via Yahoo to amaank

haha nice. Put the steelies back on!

amaank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Q5Quint

E30: 89 325is
Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Q5Quint

Ironically, the day after I switch off my steelies with snow tires for these shiny new painted bottle caps, this happens:

Check out my Turbo recipe!
Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Q5Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
M-technik-3

E30: too many and now a e36/5
M-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud ofM-technik-3 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to M-technik-3

They came out nice. I don't normally like bottles but they are better than steelies some days.

BBS are like brests, no mater how many sets you see you will always look at them and get excited.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr...88aba8a&t=9781 My transaction thread has grown stagnant over the years
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
dom
Contributing Member

E30: none
dom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dom

fancy caps! nice work, once again =D>

e30...sold. rockin' teh 1995 540i/6, alpineweissII
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
lsmkr06

E30: 1989 325i
lsmkr06

Great idea and good work.......i was thinking of doing the same thing but i never thought to use a flower pot.
lsmkr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
asubimmer
Contributing Member

E30: Alpinweiß II 91' 318is
asubimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to asubimmer

I saw them yesterday and they look really great. He did an awsome job paintin them =D>

Alpinweiß II 91' 318is
asubimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
Soviet1942

E30: '87 325is (SOLD) '72 VW Campmobile
Soviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Soviet1942 Send a message via Skype™ to Soviet1942

I can't see any pictures.

Untucked diving board crew member 025
Soviet1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
Big Flick

E30: 1988 325is
Big Flick is on a distinguished road

Ya me either!!!

1988 325is OO=[][]=OO
Big Flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Soviet1942

E30: '87 325is (SOLD) '72 VW Campmobile
Soviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud ofSoviet1942 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Soviet1942 Send a message via Skype™ to Soviet1942

I want pics!!

Untucked diving board crew member 025
Soviet1942 is offline   Reply With Quote