e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > BMW E30 > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
lgo

E30: 1985 325e, japanese model, BMW-Schwarz
lgo
Default Oil in Master Cylinder (is it possible?!!...)

Yesterday I was happily reassembling everything under the car (oilpan gasket replacement, fixed the steering rack, new balljoints and bushings, etc) when I noticed a fair amount of oil (motor oil) leaking the brake master cylinder... now I know have a problem with oil blowing into the intake duct but I never thought it was so severe... before dissasambling anything can someone say me if this can be possible (maybe the oil was sprayed when someone else was working in the car)

Thanks!
lgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 04-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Village Idiot
Contributing Member

E30: m30 powered 318 (RIP)
Village Idiot is a jewel in the roughVillage Idiot is a jewel in the roughVillage Idiot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Village Idiot

Are you sure it's engine oil and not the MC leaking? unless it was dripping large amounds (have someone push the brakes while you're looking) I'd say either it's brake fluid leaking out of a fitting, the plastic bit on the top is cracked, or maybe someone just dumped fluid all over the place while topping it off.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
bearing01
Contributing Member

E30: 02-E46
bearing01 is a name known to allbearing01 is a name known to allbearing01 is a name known to allbearing01 is a name known to allbearing01 is a name known to allbearing01 is a name known to all
Default Re: Oil in Master Cylinder (is it possible?!!...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgo
(motor oil) leaking the brake master cylinder...
Motor oil leaked into the M/C, leaking out of the m/c or is it in the booster?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
ianlee91

E30: none right now... looking
ianlee91

I would say there's some major problem if there is motor oil in the master cylinder, considering that the only connection the master cylinder has to the engine is through the brake booster... and even then, it is through the line between the intake manifold and the brake booster... and if there is oil in the brake booster, it means the check valve is gone, among other things.... and if the oil is finding its way into the master cylinder through the booster, there's a leak in the seals on the master cylinder... what's the brake performance been like?

chances are that you're not seeing motor oil in the m/c though... you're just seeing old brake fluid... when it gets old, it tends to turn brown... at least mine was brown when I bled my brakes... which means, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me (and for you) to get the whole system flushed out
ianlee91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Village Idiot
Contributing Member

E30: m30 powered 318 (RIP)
Village Idiot is a jewel in the roughVillage Idiot is a jewel in the roughVillage Idiot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlee91
I would say there's some major problem if there is motor oil in the master cylinder, considering that the only connection the master cylinder has to the engine is through the brake booster... and even then, it is through the line between the intake manifold and the brake booster... and if there is oil in the brake booster, it means the check valve is gone, among other things.... and if the oil is finding its way into the master cylinder through the booster, there's a leak in the seals on the master cylinder... what's the brake performance been like?

chances are that you're not seeing motor oil in the m/c though... you're just seeing old brake fluid... when it gets old, it tends to turn brown... at least mine was brown when I bled my brakes... which means, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me (and for you) to get the whole system flushed out
+1

I bled the brakes of a 510wagon a while back, and i just kept bleeding till all of the brown sludge came out and it was flowing clear. It's pretty ing what will come through those lines after a long enough time.