e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > E30 FAQs & DIY
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
twoJ's

E30: '89 325i
twoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to twoJ's
Default Mini antenna write up

Okay, I know there have been numerous threads about putting in a z3/318ti antenna, but i want to end the discussion. I'll show exactly what parts i used and tell how I did it.

First, you will need the antenna base. You can get one from a z3 or a 318ti, both are the same. I found mine in a wrecking yard in a z3 and got it for $25. If you buy new, it will cost you significantly more.

Here is a picture of the one i used: PN 65218375159

It came with a bracket on it, but i simply took it off and threw it away. It is not necessary.

The next thing you will need is a grommet to hold the base in place. When i called the dealer and asked for the grommet for a z3, they told me there were 4 different types. So i asked about the grommet for the 318ti and they had that one so i used it. It works perfectly and i don't know the difference between it and the ones from the z3.

Here is a picture of the new grommet and the one i took off from my car:

The new one from the 318ti is on the right and the old one is on the left. The PN for the grommet is 65218362369.

The third and last thing you will need is an antenna. I chose to get a stock one, but there are a number of different choices. You can get any one that will fit a z3 or 318ti and possibly ones from a z4. I got the stock one from the 318ti. The part number is 65218362368.

Now that I've got it on my car, I'll probably get a different one that is shorter.

I don't have any pictures from the install, but it is very simple. First, you simply remove the power antenna and it's bracket. The connection to the antenna is the same as the e30 one, so you can simply screw that one on the new base.

For the power hook up, there is a plug for the power antenna that you will want to remove. Then you want to probe the two wires and see which is constant 12V. On my car it was red and the switched was white. The connector for the e30 will actually slide right in to the one on the new base. Then you want to ground the new base to something. I used the point that the power antenna was grounded to.

Here is a pic of the connections on the new base:

Now you're pretty much done. You need to remove the old grommet and put the new one. Do this from the top. It's very simple, just get the seal over the edge of the hole. Then just push the base up though the grommet until it goes all the way in. The grommet will support the base.

Now you just need to screw the antenna on and you're good to go.

Here's a pic of the final product.

And one up close of the grommet

Pay no attention to the thick film of dirt on my car, I know it's in need of a wash. And if i were to do this again, I don't think I would pay the $25 for the OEM antenna. I will end up replacing it eventually, so I would recommend just buying a different one off of Ebay right off the bat.
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 05-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
dom
Contributing Member

E30: none
dom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dom

sweet, thanks for the information.

your car looks like an rc racer now!

e30...sold. rockin' teh 1995 540i/6, alpineweissII
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
twoJ's

E30: '89 325i
twoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nicetwoJ's is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to twoJ's
Default zvsd

lol. thanks... or i hate you. Yeah, i'll need to get the shorter antenna. And somehow i need to make it angle back a bit.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
etasport

E30: 87 3.1l/97 2.8l
etasport is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to etasport

Not bad.. I got mine from advance for 8 bucks. Havent hooked it up right though, just dont listen to the radio.

certified bmw tech
etasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
ldsbeaker

E30: '88 325ix and other BMWs
ldsbeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice, this is just what I was looking for!!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Chris
Administrator

E30: '89 325iS
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Stickied.

DungeonMotorsport
ph. (E30) 886-TECH
10am to 5pm Eastern [Mon-Fri]
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
ldsbeaker

E30: '88 325ix and other BMWs
ldsbeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it!! Looks great, and now I don't have to worry about that stupid mast antenna... p.s. here's a comparison picture of the old and the new..
Old 08-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
ptowntsi
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

ptowntsi

does it retract all the way like the original e30 antenna?
ptowntsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
87Blue325iC

E30: 1987 325iC
87Blue325iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptowntsi
does it retract all the way like the original e30 antenna?
No - that is the entire point of the conversion - no moving parts to break and no big ugly retractable mast antenna.

BTW - mine is from an E36 convertible. Install is the same as the Z3 or 318ti ones.

87Blue325iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 08-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
e30_325es
Genius

E30: 86 325es, 07 MCS
e30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud ofe30_325es has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30_325es

Are these screw on antennas?

The Super Duper Eta Sport .... is twin cam powered finally!!!!
e30_325es is offline   Reply With Quote