e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Forced Induction > Turbochargers
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
cplagz

E30: 327iT
cplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the rough
Default Holset H1C Specs question

Looking at buying a holset h1c, but am not accustomed to the cm^2 sizes, know the A/R side of things. What I'm really looking for is a good turbo to spool 1bar by 3000rpm... not sure if this is too big or not

Do these numbers mean anything to anyone

Numbers on turbine housing: 3519418/ 18 / 129 / 2688 / jh2. numbers on bearing housing: R5m5. numbers on compressor housing: SF8UK. minor diameter of compressor wheel is 51mm/8 blades with 8 secondary blades, inlet size 75mm. Minor diameter of turbine wheel is 61mm/12 blades, 65mm outlet
cplagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Fozz325iT

E30: 88 325i se TURBO
Fozz325iT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Fozz325iT

I'm using a H1C, 18cm3 housing gives full boost @ 3700-4000rpms.

I have a 50/82mm compressor and a 67/63 turbine.

One thing I will say is you need a good flowing setup to use one of the things properly, Holsets need to breath

HTH, Mark.

Holset H1C
Msns-e
Fozz325iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
iXer
Super Moderator

E30: 325iX -89
iXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to iXer Send a message via MSN to iXer

Sounds like you have about the same turbo, size seems to match pretty good at least. The housing is pretty large, but it makes the engine make more power at the same boost - if you're into this for the power. This is considerably larger than what you would find on a Garrett turbo aimed for gasoline engines with the same size compressor.

You need to find a smaller turbine housing, the one you're looking at is 18 cm^2. The size is usually stamped on the inside of the turbine inlet flange, simply "18".

With larger turbine housings you will get less exhaust back pressure but it puts demands on the system components and tuning to spool up fast. A nice flowing manifold, good controlled wastegate and good engine tune. You need to preserve exhaust pulses when you're off boost to get fast response.

E30 320i 1989 | E30 325iX 1989 | E3 3.0 1976
iXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
cplagz

E30: 327iT
cplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the rough

Ok thanks for the replies, I will steer clear of this one, will just stick the T04 on that I have and see how she goes
cplagz is offline   Reply With Quote