e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Forced Induction > Intercoolers, Charge Pipes & BOVs
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Q5Quint

E30: 89 325is
Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Q5Quint
Default 24"X12"X3" Intercooler Install

Core Size 24"X12"X3"
Overall Size 31"x12"x3"
3" Inlet & Outlet, 3" Core

Ebay Seller: just-intercoolers
Also got some nice silicon connectors from there~ good place to get stuff.

If I were to do it again I would have got the universal kit with pipes and all, and a slightly smaller intercooler~ This one takes some shoe-horning to get in.

Tools required:

sockets
star tool thingy (the bolts on the bottom of the quarter panel holding on to the valance)
screwdrivers
cutting wheel
bolt cutters
a weekend

I started by removing the radiator, then the valance. It was rusted to hell so I scraped off the flakes and painted the back of it with some rustoleum in hopes it will last another few years.

My intercoolers end tanks make it sit up too high if you put the inlet/outlet under the headlights... it would still fit this way if you removed the high beams though so thats your choice. It also might fit this way if you cut into the front bumper supports... but I didnt want to do that either. I will lose the brake ducts but they dont do much anyway.

I made some supports out of some metal from lowes hardware. I had a bolt in them at first but it poked into the intercooler and that made me a bit uncomfortable, so they are now just bent around the front radiator support.

The cutting wheel is your friend, a 3" thick cooler required some cutting to get to fit... and any bigger would require A LOT of cutting. Save yourself the hassle and get a 2.5 or 2.75 inch unit, or not if you like cutting.

The oil cooler was relocated to the top, and the power steering cooler thing was mounted a bit sideways to make room for the top of the intercooler. I had to lose the electric fan and the ac condensor though there is room for the condensor OR an electric fan between the intercooler and the radiator. There is maybe 2.5-3" in there, so I will be putting one of those skinny fans down there eventually. The car runs a bit colder on the highway at speed now since the intercooler fins allow way more air to pass than the condensor fins did.

Once again much thanks to my Dad for his help and great problem solving ideas.

some pics:

*pics with bumper on to come shortly~ looks pretty stock except there is a shiny silver intercooler where the oil cooler was. The oil cooler fins clip also still fits. Without the 90 degree silicon connectors, the brake ducts also still fit.

Check out my Turbo recipe!
Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Q5Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
BMWSOB

E30: 89 325is TURBO
BMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to BMWSOB

Looks just like the SSautochrome intercooler. Its the same size as many of us on the board, including me, are running. =D>

Donovan
Old 11-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
asubimmer
Contributing Member

E30: Alpinweiß II 91' 318is
asubimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to asubimmer

looks great man =D>

Alpinweiß II 91' 318is
asubimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
TwistedSS

E30: Project 325i
TwistedSS

Just bought a stock SRT-4 intercooler off a guy for 1.00. Yes, ONE dollar. Its 24x8x2.75. Hope it works for now.
TwistedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
M-Tech

E30: M10B18 Turbo
M-Tech
Send a message via MSN to M-Tech

Did you cut the front frame also (behind the radiator)?
Was there any modifications to intercooler needed?

I'm getting the same piece, hope it fits.
Don't want to cut the car's frame.
M-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Q5Quint

Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold

No frame cutting and NO mods to the intercooler~ just had to cut the front valence a bit to squeeze it in there. Its a tight fit but its there.

Painted Bottle Caps
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
Giga Shadow

E30: 325i
Giga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Giga Shadow

Damn, how does that thing look with the bumper?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
drfrankenstein

E30: 85 325e turbo intercooled
drfrankenstein is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to drfrankenstein Send a message via Yahoo to drfrankenstein

iv got the same intercooler. i still havent gotten my valance to fit. i guess im jus not trying hard enough. ill snap a pic of how ugly my car is
83 280zx t-top coupe
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Q5Quint

100 years later I have some pics with the bumper on

Thanks!

Painted Bottle Caps
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
XuRacing
Contributing Member

E30: -2 wheel 10 Second upgrade
XuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond reputeXuRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XuRacing

looks nice quint. You lose the AC? I am guessing since i dont see it lol
***E30tech Facebook Group***
XuRacing is offline   Reply With Quote