e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Forced Induction > FI Intake & Exhaust
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Q5Quint

E30: 89 325is
Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Q5Quint
Default 3" Turbo Back DONE and its LOUD

I had some time to fab up a new exhaust over xmas~

I don't know how loud turbo cars are with 3" mufflers, but the $60 summit magnaflow special is LOUD!!! I hope it quiets down some when I get the turbo on there, otherwise I will swap it out for something with baffles~ you cant talk to other people in the car.

I don't have megasquirt or my oil lines worked out yet, so I made a turbo delete pipe to sit where the turbo goes. I did fab it up with the turbo on there so I know it all fits when the car is ready for the little snail

I used a super cheap 100 amp campbell hausfeld stick welder that I bought on ebay for a little less than 100 bucks~ it worked but it was a bitch to start a bead, i guess it had no options to help with the arc startup like the huge industrial welders I use at school do, and I had to use itty bitty 2mm rods to get it to flow at all. Major pain in the ass, but it got the job done with no leaks and not too horribly embarrassing looking beads.

I have since added a bit of the exhaust wrap around my plug wires since they are so close to the pipe, and a heat shield made out of a cookie baking pan to that top clamp that holds the header wrap on. The cookie pan does wonders for the wires directly behind the down pipe. Now that my egt sensor is hooked up, it tells me I run about 1100F at idle and 1400F cruising at 3k rpm going around 70mph. If I were to do it again, I would have used a better welder and bought a quieter muffler. Turn up your speakers as loud as they will go and thats about how loud the car is. The car seems a bit peppier but its mostly because my old exhaust had the stock cat taken out and a teeny 2" cat welded into BOTH stock pipes with a y pipe going in and out.. and it sounds like I am driving a nascar now. It also took me nearly a whole week to do it because of my hand and the sucky welder taking forever to get the arc started. All in all it was a lot of fun and I recommend doing your own exhaust work to anybody that has a lot of free time.

I ordered all the stuff from summit but ended up with 2 extra mandrel bends and 2 extra sections of 3” pipe ~ in the end WHAT I USED broke down something like this

MagnaFlow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers ~ $50
Flowmaster Slip-On Reducer Cones 3" to 2.5"~ $22
MagnaFlow Universal Catalytic Converters 3"in/out ~ $65
Dynomax Stainless Steel Butt-Joint Band Clamp 3" ~ $9
Summit Exhaust Tubing Mandrel Bends
2.5" ~ $20
3"dia 6" radious bend~ $25
Summit Exhaust Tubing 3" 4ft ~ $20
5 bolt turbo flange from ebay ~ $20
DEI Exhaust Wrap 2" x 50ft ~ $50
exhaust clamps for muffler, cat, & header wrap ~ $15
296 total~

turbo delete pipe (t3 flange and another 5bolt flange) $30

I recommend buying a extra 3” bend or two in case you screw up, and maybe a extra 3” pipe too. And don't forget that cheap non baffled mufflers are way too loud unless its your track only car.

Here are some pics and a vid at the bottom. Remember to turn the sound up ALL THE WAY:

or vid here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol9y4jzWUug

Check out my Turbo recipe!
Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Q5Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Thing-90ix
Contributing Member

E30: 325iX
Thing-90ix is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 3" setup all the way with two "straight through" mufflers and it's *very* quiet.

At 80km/h the loudest sound in the car is the heater fan if it's on at speed 3+. At speed 2 it's pretty much equal between the fan sound level and the rest of the car.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Q5Quint

E30: 89 325is
Q5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to beholdQ5Quint is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Q5Quint

did you put one where the cat was? I am thinking about replacing my cat with another muffler. What kind of straight through mufflers did you use?

Check out my Turbo recipe!
Painted Bottle Caps
Intercooler Setup: 24x12x3"
Car Alarm/Kelyless Entry: How-To
Blitz Black DIY: Paint
3" Exhaust
Buy my stuff! For Sale!
Q5Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
bmwguru
Contributing Member

E30: Not anymore
bmwguru is an unknown quantity at this point

I am running 3" from the turbo back to a Magnaflow (pretty much straight through) muffler and no cat. It's not really that loud at all. When you put the turbo on you will be suprised how much it will quiet it down.

bmwguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
gli_ryan
Contributing Member

E30: b5 a4
gli_ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gli_ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguru
I am running 3" from the turbo back to a Magnaflow (pretty much straight through) muffler and no cat. It's not really that loud at all. When you put the turbo on you will be suprised how much it will quiet it down.

what does yours sound like? does the turbo growl through the exhaust?
how about you just post a clip if you already havent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkid013
Id get it but it's an auto and Id rather staple my testes to a wall.

add me @ www.myspace.com/gli_ryan
gli_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Thing-90ix
Contributing Member

E30: 325iX
Thing-90ix is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5Quint
did you put one where the cat was? I am thinking about replacing my cat with another muffler. What kind of straight through mufflers did you use?
I stuck the smallest muffler I could find under the car around a little rearward of where the cat is stock.
And the biggest one I could find that fit in the rear where the stock muffler is.

They have a internal pipe running straight through with holes drilled/punched though it. No baffles here.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
///ARINUTS...

E30: > all
///ARINUTS... has a spectacular aura about///ARINUTS... has a spectacular aura about

It will get MUCH quieter with a turbo.

also contct me for a modified wastegate that will fit in the EGR port on that 524td manifold. ( instead of the plate )
///ARINUTS... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
DonnyDonny
Thanks again

E30: 325I
DonnyDonny is on a distinguished road

I have the 3'' no cat with magnaflows universal one in one out. it sounds good. No turbo yet so we will see.

DonnyDonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
lifeiskaos
Super Moderator

E30: several projects
lifeiskaos has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to lifeiskaos

the internet does not appreciate 3 year old thread bumps without related updates
lifeiskaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
UW.eta

E30: eh-tah
UW.eta will become famous soon enoughUW.eta will become famous soon enough

lol.
UW.eta is offline   Reply With Quote