e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > E30 FAQs & DIY
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
protomor

E30: 1987 325i, 1989 325i M50T
protomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to protomor Send a message via MSN to protomor Send a message via Yahoo to protomor
Default Denatured alcohol: Make your car pass emissions

Info from:http://www.slidewaysonline.com/?q=node/23

Just a precursor, this is not a permanent fix. Do not do this every time you need to pass emissions, it honestly is not good for your engine otherwise your car would run on the stuff. This is meant for people in a crunch that need to pass inspection and either dont have the time or money to fix the problem.

With that said, if you want to know what denatured alcohol is, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Denatured alcohol is basically ethanol. That stuff, if you are in the US, that your car already runs somewhere near 18% of. From what I know, denatured alcohol burns sooner than gasoline but burns hotter. Which means turbo systems are in danger of predetonation if they are running too lean. The benifits is that denatured alcohol runs very clean. A friend of mine with a supercharged AE86 corolla passed under half all of the emissions requirements for the state of maryland.

I have NOT run tests to really see how bad this is for your car so I take no responsibility if you do something stupid and try to run your whole car on the stuff and get a skull fracture when your piston rockets through your head (engine and/or body).

Anyway, if I havent scared you off, heres how you do it!
1. Buy 1-2 quarts of denatured alcohol from your local hardware store (home depot give me a sponsorship!)
2. Run your tank down anywhere from 1/4 tank to the E line depending on how gutsy you feel or how badly your car passed emissions last time.
3. Throw the bottle of denatured alcohol into your tank.
4. Warm up the car and drive it immediately to your emissions place.
5. Either run down your tank or siphon out the rest of the fuel
6. Fill up a FULL tank to dillute any denatured alcohol thats left

Tada! you have now passes emissions with flying colors.

Last edited by protomor : 12-14-2007 at 07:13 PM.
protomor is online now   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
dom
Contributing Member

E30: none
dom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dom

hmm...I guess if I was uber desperate to pass emissions...

nice find though.

e30...sold. rockin' teh 1995 540i/6, alpineweissII
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Kon19

E30: 1986 BMW 325es
Kon19
Send a message via AIM to Kon19

Yea I heard that if u run straight up denatured alcohol it can ruin ur engine only because it burns really hot

The reason behind it is that because it burns super hot, it kinda starts to wear away at the metal of ur engine like ur pistons and after a while if u were to take the pistons out, it'll be possible to take the piston out and crush it in ur hand.

im pretty sure that if u got pistons that were able to handle the heat, that u can run pure denatured alcohol, or pure ethyl or methyl like race cars

Alcohol is supposed to be like 100 octane also, so an engine runs pretty nicely with this stuff

Anyone out there that can key in on how to prevent alcohol fuel from destroying an engine, if I can figure out a way, I would buy alcohol in bulk and run it, its cheaper than gas and has a higher octane, FTW!
Kon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
protomor

E30: 1987 325i, 1989 325i M50T
protomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond reputeprotomor has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to protomor Send a message via MSN to protomor Send a message via Yahoo to protomor

Actually, I remember the bottle of denatured alcohol costing me $30. Its def too expensive to run all the time. As long as its diluted in your gas tank and you dont run it for extended periods of time, there shouldnt be and major damage to your engine.

protomor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Shifty

E30: 325i 1990
Shifty

Denatured alcohol is not $30 unless you bought 3 gallons of it.
its like $10~$12 per 1/2 gallon and you will find in in the paint section of your hardware store.
All you need is 1/4 gallon in your tank if you have less than 1/4 tank of gas. if you have more than 1/4 tank, then use a 1/2 gallon of alcohol.

*Geek mode ON*
the only inherit danger of denatured alcohol is it will eat away are rubber and plastics over time. it would be a bad idea to pour denatured alcohol in your gas tank and leave it there for a while, it will eventually corrode the rubber line that connects the gasoline port to the fuel tank, its a 5~6" rubber tube.
other than that it if you have a higher ratio of the alcohol and a full tank of gas, it may errode the main fuel lines in the engine bay.

another benefit of the alcohol is to remove water from gasoline. it will absorb it and burn it off when it gets to the cylinders. since water does not emulsify w/ gasoline this is how you would get rid of water in your gas tank.

plus, this can be considered a better alternative to injector cleaner...
it burns cleaner and hotter than injector cleaners do. plus it will remove the varnish off your cylinder walls and burn off more deposits off your piston surfaces.

*Geek mode Off*
Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Turbo-Brown

E30: 325i Twin Turbo
Turbo-Brown is just really niceTurbo-Brown is just really niceTurbo-Brown is just really niceTurbo-Brown is just really nice

Mmmm, interesting stuff. I've got an emissions test coming up this month which I barely scraped last year. Will bare it in mind. That or see if I can take the laptop along and keep tapping fuel out until it passes

www.air-in.co.uk free M20 exhaust and inlet flange drawings

328i Twin Sequential Turbo on the way....slowly
Turbo-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
HomerJ64

E30: '84 323i "RIP" 1991 325i
HomerJ64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to HomerJ64

sticky it!!!!
HomerJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
BMWSOB

E30: 89 325is TURBO
BMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to allBMWSOB is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to BMWSOB

Funny, I know someone that uses denatured alcohol injection in his turbo car to cool the charge and increase octane.

http://turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Pages/alcohol_spray.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
iXer
Super Moderator

E30: 325iX -89
iXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond reputeiXer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to iXer Send a message via MSN to iXer

It seems half of all turbo cars here in Sweden run on E85 (15% gasoline, 85% ethanol). It has the same effects as described above.

Cooler combustion, more boost possible, cleans up the engine, ..

That old rubber lines get destroyed, fuel pumps brake and deposits come loose and clog injectors are myths in my book. Most cars that have this problem are 15+ years old and should have their rubber lines replaced anyway. Things start to snowball when maintenance is off.

E30 320i 1989 | E30 325iX 1989 | E3 3.0 1976
iXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
rthor234
Contributing Member

E30: S54
rthor234 is just really nicerthor234 is just really nicerthor234 is just really nicerthor234 is just really nicerthor234 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to rthor234

I believe that the new vehicles that are set up for running ethanol use stainless steel lines of some sort for corrosion prevention.
rthor234 is offline   Reply With Quote