e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Appearance
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Limited Group Buy: E30 Rear Subframe Camber & Toe Correction Kits - $69 Shipped

Old 10-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

E30: '89 325iS
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default BMWLight Fog Lens Replacement - Easy DIY

Scroll Down for Full DIY Installation Guide!
--------------------------------------------------------------

The owner of http://www.bmwlight.com/ sent me a couple sets of fog lens replacements a long time ago, so I decided to replace one of my lenses back in April.

Here are the before and after pics:

Replacement lenses are made of plastic instead of the factory glass.

The back of this new plastic lens lacks a dip that helps to position it on top of the fog light housing. In other words, the back of the new lens is flat so you rely heavily on sealant to hold position. [see arrows in pic below]

The only other thing that might be an issue for others is reinstalling the two plugs that cover your adjuster screws. I reused mine and they came out of the old lens fine, but they didn't want to cooperate when I put them back in the new plastic lens. [see arrows in pic below]

Full Replacement / Installation article to follow.

DungeonMotorsport
(424) 225-1982 | @dungeonmotorsport
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
dom
Contributing Member

E30: none
dom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond reputedom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dom

one of the mods I still appreciate. I might've gone overkill though, because after the acrylic lenses, I did 40mil clear lamin-x on top. but hell, that's just added protection against rocks.

e30...sold. rockin' teh 1995 540i/6, alpineweissII
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
one of the mods I still appreciate. I might've gone overkill though, because after the acrylic lenses, I did 40mil clear lamin-x on top. but hell, that's just added protection against rocks.
It was an easy mod and one of those things that just bother you. Other people might not spot it all the time, but you know the lens is crap sort of thing.

At any rate, the finished product came out pretty good.

No sense in buying brand new fogs.

DungeonMotorsport
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Bob Loblaw
Super Moderator

E30: '88 328is stroker
Bob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond reputeBob Loblaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It was an easy mod and one of those things that just bother you. Other people might not spot it all the time, but you know the lens is crap sort of thing.

At any rate, the finished product came out pretty good.

No sense in buying brand new fogs.
I agree with all of the above.

I did mine this summer and they now look brand spankin' new.

Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
paul christians

E30: 87//2.7//stroker
paul christians will become famous soon enoughpaul christians will become famous soon enough

that is cool Chris.......

paul christians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
inferno363

E30: '88 325is
inferno363 will become famous soon enough

Looks awesome, I need to do this this winter. Looking forward to the full write up.

My winter project
inferno363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Chris
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno363 View Post
Looking forward to the full write up.
It's straight forward.

I took a lot of pics for you guys.

DungeonMotorsport
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #8
gotKRAUT

E30: 87 325es
gotKRAUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT

i just put laminx on mine, and after a few months of use the goo from the laminx filled in all the gaps and the laminx is breathable so the tiny bubbles worked themselves out...my ellipsoids were the worst roadblasted/chipped ellipsoids on earth, a year after installing the laminx they look brand new

i just wiped them down with denatured alcohol first to make sure they are completely clean then installed the clear laminx...

it will be interesting to see how the plastic holds up to fading/yellowing on those lenses, they may be a realistic option

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped Daily Driver*Sold*

Last edited by gotKRAUT : 10-30-2007 at 02:03 AM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #9
Blueix

E30: 325IX
Blueix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blueix

Came out good, I should do it to mine. Its a shame they don't make it pre smoked or in yellow.
Blueix is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
inferno363

E30: '88 325is
inferno363 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT View Post
it will be interesting to see how the plastic holds up to fading/yellowing on those lenses, they may be a realistic option

I think for the price, if they fade or yellow in a couple years just keep replacing them.

My winter project
inferno363 is offline   Reply With Quote