e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > E30 FAQs & DIY
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
E30325i
Contributing Member

E30: 89 325i 270,350 miles SOLD =(
E30325i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to E30325i
Default How To: Injector Upgrade/Install

I had bought these #19 injectors off someone from R3V a while ago and decided today finally would be the day to install them. My engine was leaning out at upper RPM's and was very sluggish off the line, so I figured with the chip I have and the already enriched fuel curve, the chip/ecu would learn the new duty cycle of the injectors fairly quickly and perform well. And right it did After a few mishaps, but that's for below.

Tools I Used:
13mm socket for battery
10mm socket for everything else
Magnetic screw driver for retrieving clips, and disconnecting hose clamps
Needlenose pliers for removing clips and retrieving
Flashlight, for retrieving clips.

Difficulty: 1 putting air in your tires, 10 S52 driveline swap. 1.5

Step 1: Disconnect your battery as there will be raw fuel up front. I don't want any E30 bbq's till summer, and I want my burgers rare...not members. Your going to want to disconnect the wiring harness from the injectors, to do this, go to the front of the engine and the wiring harness you'll see a plug that goes from the harness to a connector down inbetween the fpr and the housing all the coolant hoses attach to. Then *if applicable* remove the bracket from the valve cover to the intake manifold by the vac hose.

Step2:
Hang on to the ends of that harness @ #1 Cylinder and #6 Cylinder and yank upwards till the connectors are seperated. (This is the easy part.)

Step3: Take the harness, and push it up and out of the way( Just like the bently says, but ZIP Tie that fucker up there so it stays out of the way. Then there are four bolts that you must un-do. This will free the fuel rail from the manifold.

Step4:
There are clips that attach to the injector and the fuel rail...CAREFULLY and I must stress this again CAREFULLY remove them. The next part can go one of two ways. You can just yank on the fuel rail and the injectors will easilly pop out. (If this is the case you can skip to step# 7.) If not, your in my shoes.

Step 5:
You must now unbolt the FPR from the rail and yank like hell on it till it comes off, you can use the manifold for leverage also, you won't break anything, at least I didn't, Then undo the fuel return line as below from the rail, this suckers on there good so just again, yank real hard. Now the fuel rail is completely free, save the injectors, and pissing fuel everywhere. (I.E. Don't smoke while doing this.) I used latex gloves and mechanix gloves for this.

Step 6:
Take the rail, and slide it out so that it comes out towards the front of the car. You'll have the articulate it a bit to make it fit, and possible push the coolant hose down as well. (makes life easier).

Step 7:
Most of the way there! For those of you joining this from Step 4, pull the injectors out of the engine and fling those things into the garbage. (see how dirty mine were?!) Those following allong all the way through. Take some 90w oil or motor oil, and coat the 'o' rings on the new injectors. Next, install them into the ports the old ones came out of. Slide the fuel rail in the same way it came out. and seat all 6 injectors on the rail and push down on the rail to make the connections.

MMMM DIRTY!!

Step 8:
Remember those clips....reattach them to the rail and injectors. It may sound easy but the two middle ones are a complete pain to reach as the manifold ever so slightly gets in the way. Re mount the fuel rail using those 4 bolts, re attach the wiring harness/fpr/return line and anything else you may have disconnected. Fire the car up. It's going to take a few cranks to get it going as there is no fuel in the rail, let it idle for a while to learn the new duty cycle, drive off and enjoy your new injectors.

Troubleshooting.
Car won't start: Make sure EVERYTHING is re connected (Hint: Take pictures of what you disconnect, that way you remember)

My car is sluggish and sounds like a boxer engine! You'r probably running on 5 or less cylinders, check the fuel rail for leaks @ the injectors, and ensure the electical harness is fully clicked into each injector (this is what happend to me).

I opted to do a seafoam treatment afterwards just to make sure everything got cleaned up from the open ports etc.

I take no responsibility if you chose to use my info presented above, and you cause and bodily/property etc. damage. Also if your car does not work I take no responsibility but I will help you troubleshoot. As with anything online, trust your instincts, don't believe anything you read, and if all else, consult a mechanic or the bently.

All rights reserved 2005 the blur gallery, used with permission
Old 02-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
herragge

E30: 1990 325iS
herragge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to herragge

sweet write up dude!!

I'm guessing your not running rich like you were in those pics?
herragge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
E30325i
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herragge
sweet write up dude!!

I'm guessing your not running rich like you were in those pics?
Thanks!.

No thats what happens after you run seafoam through you intake manifold, its kinda cool when your sucking it out of the can thru the vac hose, when the engine sputters, you'll see smoke rings from the exhaust
Old 02-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Morpheus

E30: 325 '87 & 325i '90
Morpheus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

nice write-up!

so, had you felt an improvement on performance in low/med/high RPM?
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
E30325i
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
nice write-up!

so, had you felt an improvement on performance in low/med/high RPM?
Thanks!

Oh most definately! Its feels so much smoother...butt dyno guestimates 2whp improvement over the old crusty dirty injectors..but again its the buttdyno so i hold no claims.

though...e30tech.com stickers are said to add 5 hp
Old 06-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
a32guy
Contributing Member

E30: 325is E36: ///M3
a32guy will become famous soon enough

Doh! I pulled the intake manifold (what a PITA!!) to replace my injectors with 42lb ones.

Oh well at least I got to sandblast and paint it

-Chris
a32guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 AM   #7
FasterFox
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

FasterFox

Thanks for the write up!
FasterFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:19 AM   #8
Daniel325i

E30: 1989 325i
Daniel325i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Daniel325i

Should mention in #1 to also remove the hose going into the valve cover... I noticed you did it, after I came back and sat down. I hadn't done it and it made it just about impossible to do, it takes away about 1" clearance thats desperately needed.

Thanks for the write up.

If this world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
Daniel325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
herragge

E30: 1990 325iS
herragge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to herragge

Just a tip; just finished using this guide to help install my new injectors...

When moving the electric harness out of the way, it REALLY gets in the way so what I did was remove the pins from the back of the harness and remove the ring attached to it that way the harness can come out and you have better access to the clip rings that are a bitch to get out without dropping. Just look where the harness is leading and unplug it basically.

A magnetic screwdriver or anything is a big help here guys, the clip ring is really easy to loose.

Great writeup!!

Mike
herragge is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #10
Giga Shadow

E30: 325i
Giga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these partsGiga Shadow is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Giga Shadow

I used to guide too and the only think I could add is
unplug your fuel pump relay when the car is running so you have 0 gas in the lines.