e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Forced Induction > General Turbo Tech
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Scotty017
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 325i
Scotty017 will become famous soon enough
Default head gasket? Turbo m20!

Hey guys! How are we? Just have a question for anyone that has turbo'd an m20b25 before?
Now the story is that i turbo'd my e30 and didn't even think about the bottom end! Lol and when it came to the dyno tje standard head gasket wasn't strong enough! DERR!
So I just want to no if you can get a thicker copper gasket or something ( other material?) along those lines?
Also if/where can you buy them?
Or worst case to i have to get one custom made etc etc?
Any info asap would be appreciated! Hoping to get the car going asap!
Thanks heaps scotty
Scotty017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
BMW BUM
Sultan of slide

E30: Her Royalblau Majesty
BMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond repute

search in the general turbo tech section. Multilayered steel head gasket (MLS is common term you'll hear) or o ring the block and use a stock head gasket. Depending on boost levels, you're going to also want ARP head studs, and I'd recommend searching about getting the passages on the head welded where they tend to fail.

BMW BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Scotty017
Noob [Needs 25 to Sell]

E30: 325i
Scotty017 will become famous soon enough

Yeh ive got some arp head studs! Would welding the water jakets in the head make it run to hot? Has anyone done this? And what sort of temps does it run? Yeah with the mls gaskets, can u buy them pre fab or do you get them made up? Cheers scotty
Scotty017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
BMW BUM
Sultan of slide

BMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond reputeBMW BUM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure on the MLS's, the block I intended for turbo is getting o-ringed, and I'll happily crank the boost to whatever my setup can support without worrying about blowing out stock head gaskets.

Like I told you, use the search function or search in the general turbo tech area. Welding the coolant passages to have a bridge up to the head surface is very VERY common and you will see all kinds of pictures and etc. showing it in there. Please just click the search button. People around here are most helpful to those who try and help themselves. We have quite an extensive turbo section, just go have a look

Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
el bob

E30: 1989 Cinnabar Red 325i Coupe
el bob is just really niceel bob is just really niceel bob is just really niceel bob is just really nice

Stock head gasket with proper tuning has been known to hold upwards of 20psi. Look back a few years at BMWSOB's car.

Also check out the bimmerforums Forced Induction section. You'll see lots of guys using stock headgaskets after having problems with MLS's not sealing properly. An MLS definitely can work, but it's definitely not bolt-on instant-seal. Just take a look at your options and some past experiences in the M20 & M50 turbo backlogs.

It still all comes down to tuning, the biggest factor in controlling cylinder pressure. That's why some cars will blow headgaskets running 8lbs of boost, MLS, ARP studs, the works, and other will boost trouble-free with stock bolts, stock head gaskets and 23psi of boost.
el bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
BMW BUM
Sultan of slide

and that's why I say o-ring the block and use arp head studs and run stock head gasket and laugh at cylinder pressure. but if I boost my m20 I want maximum reliability.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
dp2275

E30: 1990 325i 24V
dp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud of

Quote:
and that's why I say o-ring the block and use arp head studs and run stock head gasket and laugh at cylinder pressure.
that philosophy only works if you have a good tune because as el bob mentioned, cylinder pressures arent a huge issue until higher boost levels even with a stock headgasket. a bad tune will destroy something whether you have orings or not. more often than not, blowing a headgasket will save you from cracking ring lands. if you take the headgasket out of the equation, detonation will wreak havoc on your pistons.

that being said, oringing the block is where its at in my opinion. before i picked up my ARP's, i was running metric blues with an oringed block and the last time i was on the dyno, the head lifted at 18+psi and allowed coolant to squirt from both sides of the headgasket. even with that happening, the cylinders stayed sealed and she ran fine after cooling down some.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
cplagz

E30: 327iT
cplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the roughcplagz is a jewel in the rough

Agreed with dp2275.

If I had my time over, I would get block O-ringed and reciever grooves cut in the head. I will get this done if I happen to blow my headgasket.
cplagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
jordan325ic

E30: '88 325is turbo
jordan325ic is just really nicejordan325ic is just really nicejordan325ic is just really nicejordan325ic is just really nicejordan325ic is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jordan325ic

MLS gaskets for the m20 are everywhere. ebay, turbochargingdynamics.com, vacmotorsports.com, etc... etc...

About $200-$250 a pop.

'88 325is turbo
President of UT of Austin Autoholics
turbo writeup
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
dp2275

E30: 1990 325i 24V
dp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud ofdp2275 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplagz View Post
Agreed with dp2275.

If I had my time over, I would get block O-ringed and reciever grooves cut in the head. I will get this done if I happen to blow my headgasket.
you dont need reciever grooves. itll hold more than enough with jsut the orings..the trick is to make sure they are set to the correct depth. they are set in the block deeper than standard o-rings (like the ones race motors use with copper headgaskets) so make sure you let the machine shop know what you want! the o-rings ran me $20 per hole.