e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > All-Wheel-Drive iX
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
flyboyx

E30: '88 s52 vert becomming m3
flyboyx is on a distinguished road
Default a slightly different idea for an s52 transplant

i know this idea gets kicked around on in this subsection now and then. also, i am aware that some of you who post here have no interest in putting a 24v engine in an ix, but that never deters me from having the wheels continuously spinning in my head. i spend way too much time perusing real oem looking for solutions that will keep the engine in the correct level position instead of being rotated 10 degrees toward the driver side of the car.

here is what i have come up with this time. using the oil pan and front differential from an e46 xi with m54 engine. this will give the correct engine alignment assuming that i can make it bolt up. for the trans to work, i am thinking to cut the bell housing's mounting flange off, reclock it to the correct position and tig weld it back in place.

what are your thoughts?

88 325ic becoming awd alpina b6 3.5s with s52
92 mtech 2 cabrio alpine/schwartz
88 e30 m3 for parts
88 325ix coupe
91 325ix 4 door auto for parts
flyboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
madman23

E30: 1988 325 IX
madman23 will become famous soon enough

Have you ever done an S54/M54 swap? What a pain in the sack, yet doable. Now as far as me knowing anything about the geometry and what not, yea, ill let the other guys answer that one for you.

You know your in an E30 when when your gas gauge waves hello to you constantly.
Originally Posted by jpod999
madman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
chris325ix
Contributing Member

E30: '91 325ix
chris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond repute

what are you going to do about the gear ratios? How do you know the E46 axles will have the same centerline as the E30? (they have different wheelbases)? How do you even know the E46 oil pan will fit on the ix subframe? what about conneting the ix transfercase to the diff, they have to have the same centerline as well?

And why is everyone worried about the angle of the engine? i'm not even sure it really changes. think about the transmission's bolt pattern in relation to the motor mounts and the bottom of the block (which must be level with the car for the oil pan to work). It's surely level on the E36/E46 as it is on the ix (it has to be!). So why would it suddently tilt 10 degrees?

I always say this, but forget about using oil pans and differentials from other cars. You are making it far more complicated than it needs to be. This swap has been done many times, just do it!

Plus the E46 AWD system blows. Open center differential with a glorified traction control program to control the slip. I don't even think it has a rear LSD. No thanks!
chris325ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
bimmerjo

E30: iX, es, e24
bimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to bimmerjo Send a message via Yahoo to bimmerjo

Here is somebody currently working a s52 swap into an iX

bimmerjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
s1am

E30: 1988 325iX
s1am is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't comment on the details of the swap but I can confirm that the E46 xi system is a real compromise. I get to drive an E46 xi back to back with my E30 ix on a regular basis and the ix takes the xi to traction school every time.
s1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
dk
Super Moderator

E30: 5-lug itb'd m42 vert
dk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to dk Send a message via AIM to dk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris325ix View Post
Plus the E46 AWD system blows. Open center differential with a glorified traction control program to control the slip.
i looked into this when the ex and i got an e46 xi, and it is not an electronically-controlled diff. (i'm still unsure why you think that "blows", because it's the same tech that came on the subaru STi.)

it is a planetary-gear with a static 38f/62r split. i don't really care to get into a debate with you on whether that is better than a viscous-type t-case, but you don't hear about e46 xi owners frying theirs.

anyway, stop saying that because it's wrong.
dk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
ejohnson

E30: 325iC, 325iX, 325iX, 325iX, Vixen21
ejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond reputeejohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk View Post
i looked into this when the ex and i got an e46 xi, and it is not an electronically-controlled diff. (i'm still unsure why you think that "blows", because it's the same tech that came on the subaru STi.)

it is a planetary-gear with a static 38f/62r split. i don't really care to get into a debate with you on whether that is better than a viscous-type t-case, but you don't hear about e46 xi owners frying theirs.

Lol, oh so true.

My 2001 325xi was just fine in the snow, but didnt have as much control as my 1988's do.
http://www.zazzle.com/5nahalf/
Untucked diving board crew member 666
"I am that ass-hole doing 95mph in a blizzard"
ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
chris325ix
Contributing Member

E30: '91 325ix
chris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk View Post

the DIFF isn't electronically controlled (I never said that). it's OPEN. it doesn't have limited slip anywhere, it uses ABS to control wheel slip by braking on the wheels with less grip. They don't fry them because there is nothing to fry, it works just like an ix diff with a burned out VC - no lockup.

Last edited by chris325ix : 01-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
chris325ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
dk
Super Moderator

E30: 5-lug itb'd m42 vert
dk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond reputedk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to dk Send a message via AIM to dk

Quote:
the DIFF isn't electronically controlled (I never said that). it's OPEN. it doesn't have limited slip anywhere, it uses ABS to control wheel slip by braking on the wheels with less grip. They don't fry them because there is nothing to fry, it works just like an ix diff with a burned out VC - no lockup.
you said it last time we argued about this. congratulations, you're still wrong!

i say again:

the transfer case from an e46xi is NOT an open diff. it's a planetary gear with a torque split of 38f/62r. if you need more info or confirmation, it's called the NV 124.

i don't know where you read this stuff, but it's wrong, so stop repeating it.

"If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seat belt?" - Doug Stanhope
dk is online now   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
flyboyx

E30: '88 s52 vert becomming m3
flyboyx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman23 View Post
Have you ever done an S54/M54 swap? What a pain in the sack, yet doable. Now as far as me knowing anything about the geometry and what not, yea, ill let the other guys answer that one for you.
yes, i put an s52 obd2 in a 91 vert. i installed everything factory. even the smog pump and ews3. this is the engine that will eventually end up in the ix.

Quote:
what are you going to do about the gear ratios? How do you know the E46 axles will have the same centerline as the E30? (they have different wheelbases)? How do you even know the E46 oil pan will fit on the ix subframe? what about conneting the ix transfercase to the diff, they have to have the same centerline as well?
actually, i have looked at all sorts of bmw models. the manual trans xi is a good axle choice for me because it offers a 3.23 axle ratio. that is the same ratio i have in my vert. i don't know about the centerline or if the pan will fit in the subframe. i am pretty sure it will fit in the subframe by the looks of it. a far as centerline, i don't know if the ix axles will work with the pan, but i think the inner xi portion of the shaft can be taken of the axle and put on the ix's if the case need be. it seems like the least of the issues would be the front drive shaft. the guibo appears to be the same diameter for both cars. the shaft can be shortened or lengthened as the case may be.

Quote:
And why is everyone worried about the angle of the engine? i'm not even sure it really changes. think about the transmission's bolt pattern in relation to the motor mounts and the bottom of the block (which must be level with the car for the oil pan to work). It's surely level on the E36/E46 as it is on the ix (it has to be!). So why would it suddently tilt 10 degrees?
the engine angle is critical or actually in this case the transmission angle is critical. in a typical 2wd 24v swap the trans is rotated off center because it isn't critical in that case. (trust me... i know this from experience) i want the engine to sit level in the ix for a couple of reasons. first, in the case of ss350(the other guy on this forum doing the s52ix swap) he has no room for a brake booster of any sort. the last time i talked to him, he was running manual brakes. also, not that he isn't doing a good job with his swap, but i want the car to look factory under the hood and i don't like the way the s52 looks cocked up on that funny angle. the best solution i can think of to make the trans and engine line up properly is to use the xi oil pan(if it will work) and cut a 3" slice off the bell housing and tig weld it back on in the proper orientation.

Quote:
I always say this, but forget about using oil pans and differentials from other cars. You are making it far more complicated than it needs to be. This swap has been done many times, just do it!

Plus the E46 AWD system blows. Open center differential with a glorified traction control program to control the slip. I don't even think it has a rear LSD. No thanks!
the e46 system works completely different than the e30 ix. it works on a basis of actuating the brake on the wheel that is spinning so the others can get traction. however, i don't have any plans to use the e46 transmission or xfer case. i just hope to be able to use the pan and the front diff with my 3.23 torsion differential. also, as has we have discussed previously, i dislike the factory ratios for an s52. this will (may) give me the opportunity to run a more suitable ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjo View Post
Here is somebody currently working a s52 swap into an iX
yes, he is a friend of mine and i have been following his build thread. i respect what he is doing, i just hope to blaze a trail for a better way. i figure i will start sourcing the parts. i don't think i will have more than a few hundred dollars invested in them which i can afford. if they don't work, i suppose i will sell them off and look for another way. i am confident that the m54 pan will fit the engine because guys who swap s54s into e30s use the e34 oil pan on that application. the bolt pattern on the differential is different than the e30 bolt pattern. but obviously the e46 front diff will bolt to its own e46 oil pan. so, assuming the pan will fit into the cross member, that only leaves the driveshaft and the front axles. (i hope)

88 325ic becoming awd alpina b6 3.5s with s52
92 mtech 2 cabrio alpine/schwartz
88 e30 m3 for parts
88 325ix coupe
91 325ix 4 door auto for parts

Last edited by flyboyx : 01-28-2010 at 10:56 PM.
flyboyx is offline   Reply With Quote