e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Engine > M20
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Drachenord

E30: 87' 325
Drachenord can only hope to improve
Default fuel rail removal and installation

OK I got the damned thing off to replace a bad o ring on the bottom of an injector, now no matter what i do i cant get the o rings on the top of the injectors to seat properly in the fuel rail, how exactly is this done? I am doing it with the intake still installed in the car, am i missing some simple trick?
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
JoeDiese
Yer mother!

E30: 1986 325es
JoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond reputeJoeDiese has a reputation beyond repute

Vaseline or fuel on the o-rings? Helps them slide a bit...
Try using a stiff screwdriver/small pry bar to lever off the manifold and top of the rail to pop them in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthor234 View Post
The tach runs out at 4.7k rpm, but the fun never stops.
JoeDiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
kerrath
Contributing Member

E30: 1986 325e + M50
kerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud ofkerrath has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to kerrath

When I replaced the injectors on my M50, I had this same trouble. What I ended up doing was dipping them in fuel (I would've used vaseline had I had it) and applying most of my weight to them to pop them in. They were out of the car. Otherwise, I don't think I could've done it. On the bright side, once you get them in, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a perfect seal.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Drachenord

good lord I lubed them up and reefed on it with a crowbar, 2 foot long wrench and whatever else i could get my hands on, one side goes on and when I try the other side the one I got on pops off, its like pulling teeth
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Drachenord

is it a 6 hour procedure to get the intake manifold off like on my 750? I ordered some intake gaskets so it worse comes to worse I will take it off, I haven't studied up on how hard the bolts are to get at.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
chris325ix
Contributing Member

E30: '91 325ix
chris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond reputechris325ix has a reputation beyond repute

no, it's not that bad. moving the booster/brake resivior out of the way helps, but you can do without it.
chris325ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Drachenord

anybody done the injectors or resnap on the fuel rail with the intake still bolted on and in the car?

I was in the shower and just got the bright idea of removing the injectors attaching them to the rail and tring to push the injectors into place, for some reason I think if i can macguyver the rail in there with the injectors attached they will pop into the manifold easier than trying to pop them into the rail, if I can fit the assemlby in there??

Last edited by Drachenord : 04-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Drachenord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
bimmer 325

E30: 325i 87 325e 86
bimmer 325 is on a distinguished road

i had a lot of problem with my seal to, make sure you got new o-ring and put a litel bit of oil on the o-ring.
bimmer 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
straight6pwr

E30: 88 325i
straight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud ofstraight6pwr has much to be proud of

ive pulled the fuel rail/injectors twice without removing the manifold, its not hard at all. just pop off you valve cover if you need a bit more wiggle room. you should be installing the injectors into the fuel rail, clipping them on, then install the whole thing onto the manifold.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Drachenord

thanks that is my plan, I am going to pull the rest of the injectors today and try it, anyone know if these o-rings are common or not (in other words will they have them in a small town at napa)?