e30tech.com Forums

Go Back   e30tech.com Forums > Technical > Electronics & Lighting
Register FAQ Members List Sponsors Advertise Shop Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
evil_twin

E30: 1989 3.25i
evil_twin will become famous soon enough
Default How To: GET and RESET Airbag Codes/SRS Light

Disclaimer: This information is used from AllDataPro. I have no responsibility in what you do. What happens or breaks on your car while you're doing this is your own fault. If you want to do this correctly, go buy the proper tool or take your car to a professional. Some of the images were used from AllDataPro. Don't rip this write up off from me, I worked hard doing this as a favor to the e30 community.

This is the 1st write up for GETTING and RESETTING Airbag Codes/SRS Light. This has worked on a 1990 and a 1991 3.25i.

Tools You Need:

1.) Jumper wire - Nothing too long since you will be jumping pins at your Diagnostic Connector. Something around 5inches long.

2.) A Friend - Someone that you trust, and is competent. They will either need to jump the pins, or will be able to read the flashing light (similar to reading check engine light codes).

Steps to READ codes:
1.) Make sure your ignition is turned off. Open your hood, and locate the diagnostic connector and unscrew the top.

2.) Inside the diagnostic connector, locate pin #1 and pin #6.

3.) Take your jumper wire and jump pin #1 and pin #6. Make sure the jumper wire has a good connection with the pins.

4.) Go in your car and turn the ignition to ON in one quick movement.

5.) Look at your SRS/Airbag Light and watch the flashes. If everything is done correctly, it should display as follows:

Light ON for 6 seconds (Bulb Test)

Flashes quickly 1 to __ times depending on number of faults

DARK for 3 seconds

Light ON for 3 seconds (Start of Fault Codes)

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 4 times. Note number for example: 1xx

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 4 times. Note number for example: x2x

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 4 times. Note number for example: xx4

DARK for 3 seconds

Flashes quickly 1 to 2 times. 1 time means brief fault (eg. brief break of contact). 2 times means permanent fault (eg. hard code).

DARK for 3 seconds

Light ON for 3 seconds (Break/start with more than 1 fault repeat Lamp on continuously = end of check control)

Steps to CLEAR codes:
Perform steps 1-4 and then turn the ignition key to OFF. Remove the jumper wire and turn the ignition key back to ON (the light will stay lit for approximately 6 seconds then turn off). Make sure the light has turned off after the 6 seconds.

Attached is the SRS Light trouble code description.

EDIT: If you have any problems, feel free to email me at vdang5(at)gmail.com with the subject of 'r3vlimited - SRS Light'

I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

My Parts For Sale Click HERE

My Feedback Thread
evil_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
euro2fast4u
HB Designs

E30: 1987 325 boosted
euro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond repute

this is a long shot but you think it would work on a 93 e36? potholes tend to set my light off at school
Originally Posted by inkk View Post
What did the hurricane say to the coconut tree?

Hold onto your nuts because this ain't no ordinary blow job.
euro2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
bmwstephen

E30: 325is
bmwstephen is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone chime in to see if this works? i;ve heard that the only way to reset the BMW airbag in an e30 is a special tool that the dealership may or may not have because its unique to this system
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
evil_twin

E30: 1989 3.25i
evil_twin will become famous soon enough

It works. That is the 'special' tool. Instead of asking if it works, why not try it?

I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

My Parts For Sale Click HERE

My Feedback Thread
evil_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
euro2fast4u
HB Designs

euro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond reputeeuro2fast4u has a reputation beyond repute

well i guess it wont work on an e36 no pin 6

Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Dagamus(NM)
Concerto in e30 major

E30: 87 330iST, White 91 5-lug/5 speed Mtech 325iC (Cabrillo), Black 91 Mtech 325iC
Dagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond reputeDagamus(NM) has a reputation beyond repute

This some cool info, thank you for posting this.

Gun control means using both hands.
Dagamus(NM) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
euro2fast4u
HB Designs

are u positive its not 16?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
bimmerjo

E30: iX, es, e24
bimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud ofbimmerjo has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to bimmerjo Send a message via Yahoo to bimmerjo

I wonder if this would work for my e24?

bimmerjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
freakinsweete30

E30: '92 vert'
freakinsweete30 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Reset doesn't seem to work for me... I jumped 1 and 6 turned the key on and off, remove jumper... SEA still blinking... did I do something wrong?
freakinsweete30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest Message
Tire Rack - Pure Control
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
antil33t
Professional Lazy Bastard

E30: 91' 320+5i
antil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond reputeantil33t has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to antil33t Send a message via Skype™ to antil33t

I know how to fix it.

remove the airbag system.

Fixed.

antil33t is offline   Reply With Quote